35:Hurt

Uriah whispers comforting words to me as I sob hysterically into his shoulder, patting my head awkwardly from time to time.

" Uriah?" I ask, my voice hoarse.

" Yeah?" Normally he would respond mockingly but I'm glad he understands that I need his comfort and not his sarcasm right now. Uriah may be a pain in my ass, but he's a great friend when he needs to be.

" Tell me something. Anything, just to get my mind off of this." I plea

" I'm not sure I'm in love with Mar anymore" he says quietly.

" Why?" I ask, sitting back into the couch and wiping away my tears.

" We don't go on dates anymore even when I ask to. She just seems... distant." I haven't seen Uriah this serious in a long time. He's capable of seriousness though it's not often but when he is, he means business.

" You have to remember that you're teenagers still. Were all trying to figure things out. Hell, We might not know what love is. But you know what is to me? It's that feeling if butterflies in your stomach. It's that rush of adrenaline you get with every touch. It's when the small things mean just as much as the big things." I say

" I used to feel that" he sighs " I don't anymore"

" Maybe you two need a break? Have you heard the saying to much if a good thing? Uriah I'm telling you right now that you're a good thing. You're funny and quick witted and fantastic. Mar is lucky to have you and, speaking as a girl who has felt this way, maybe she feels slightly inferior? When you spend a lot of time around someone you start to see how wonderful they really are. All those little things she sees in you might make her doubt her worth. Give her some space, let her go back to looking at the big things. That should be helpful."

" Thanks Tris. That was beautiful" he fake cries, wiping his face with the back of his hand.

" Shut up you dork" I say with a weak smile.

" It'll be alright Trissy" he assures me, I thump him in the stomach causing him to release a puff of air. By the amount of food that he consumes, I'd think he'd be more squishy than he is.

" I can't handle the thought of him hating me, Uriah" I whisper so quietly I'm not sure he heard me, though I think he did.

" He doesn't hate you Tris. It's to hard to hate you. You're an amazing person." He assures me.

" Do me a favor?" I ask timidly, my eyes scanning the couch.

" 'Course"

" Go check on him for me? Or, better yet, send your brother down and keep an eye on Four" I beg.

" Gotcha" He winks at me before ascending the stairs, his feet smacking against the steps.

Zeke appears a few moments later, his eyes sad and his shirt ruffled.

" How bad did I screw up this time?" I squeak, worried about his reply

" Do you want the truth?" He asks

" I think so"

" He's angry, and sad. I think he's confused. You did it for him and I think he'll understand that eventually. But at the moment he's pretty upset. " Zeke sighs

" But how is he?" I press

" When I left he was screaming into a pillow. But a few minutes ago he was bawling his eyes out. So... peachy" he explains

" Zeke?" He hums in response "something else happened."

" Uh oh. What?"

" My dad got a new job so he can stay home." I say

" That's bad?" He wonders

" He's the mayors assistant" I whisper

" I'm lost" he admits

" Zeke, where did we find Four the other day?" I question impatiently

" They mayors... oh" he realizes

" The mayor will be coming over for dinner often." I sigh

" Why does the mayor hate Four?" He asks

" You'll have to ask Four yourself. It's not my place to say." I sigh.

" Why is he so upset about this whole thing?" Zeke asks " Four, I mean. Well, if I lost someone as sweet as you, I'd be upset too."

"You're just saying that" I mutter " I guess it's because we really loved eachother. Well, I loved him but I doubt he's say the same at the moment."

" Did you explain why?" Zeke asks

" I couldn't get a word in edgewise" I chuckle " this'll blow over, right?"

" Do you love him?" Zeke asks. I nod in the affirmative

" Does he love you, normally I mean?" I nod again " then I think you two will work it out. By the way, I think he still loves you. It takes some time to not love someone."

"When did you get so smart" I ask, smiling affectionately.

" Please, I'm a genius" Zeke scoffs. I let out a short burst of laughter.

" Whatever floats your boat" I say as Zekes face falls and he glares at something behind me.

" He comes double trouble" he mutters as my parents emerge from the kitchen.

" Happy?" I say, my voice thick with suppressed tears " I hurt him. I hurt myself, but your wishes are fulfilled."

" Bea, we didn't want you to get hurt" my dad says

"Oh? So when I said that it would hurt the two of us, did that not make you think that, maybe, it was going to hurt me?" I scoff

" Don't sass me young lady" my dad growls

" Don't sass me young lady" I mock childishly " get over yourself"

" I can still kick that boy out" my dad snaps, getting in my face " and if you don't have a job soon, I won't hesitate"

" I hate you" I spit, dragging Zeke up to my room. As we go down the hallway, I spot Tobias's door adjacent from mine. His screams and muffled sobs are easily heard even through the thick walls, making my heart clench.

" I didn't want to hurt him" I whisper to Zeke, though I know he knows that.

"I think he knows that. I also think he'll understand once he gets over the shock." Zeke muses as he leads me into my room.

" It hurts Zeke" I sigh " it hurts me knowing I hurt him."

" I'm sure it does. But this will fix itself eventually, you'll see. He loves you as much as you love him Tris, he won't let this ruin you two." Zeke says with a right smile. he pushes me not my bed, pulling the covers to my chin " Sleep, I'll keep an eye on those two"

" Thanks Zeke." I mutter, feeling sleep close in on me " you're a better brother than my brother."

He chuckles as he shuts the door, walking across the hall and leaving me engulfed in my thoughts.