41: His plan

I'm wary about school today. I don't doubt that Marcus would show up and take him now. I couldn't face my parents this morning so I left early, swinging by Starbucks for a bite to eat before waiting in the school parking lot for an hour.

The lot starts to fill soon, sparkling cars filling any parking space they can find. Zekes car pulls up a few spots from mine, slowing to a stop before he puts in in park and hops out. Only two people emerged rom the car, Tobias is nowhere in sight. I meet Zeke half way, leaving my own car to dash across the blacktop.

"Wheres Four?" I ask right away.

" Home. He didn't want to take any chances." Zeke explains. The roaring engin of cars pulling up stops our conversation. Caleb along with the rest of the people join us in the parking lot.

" Wheres Four?" Everyone asks.

"Home" I say simply. The sharp peircing ring if the bell cuts through the air, making us all jump. We stalk to the school, weaving around crowds who rush to get to class.

---------------->Time Skip<---------------

It is lunch when I get the text. It is lunch when my world comes crashing down.

We had just seated ourselves at a table, Caleb having left to join his friends, and we were about to begin eating. I felt the typical buzzing in my pocket, alerting me to a text. I expected it to be something stupid, like how I had fifty percent of my data plan left for the month, but I did not expect what I got. Tobias's name flashed on the a creen above the half readable text. I unlocked the phone, going to my messages app and opening up Tobias and I's conversation. The grey text bubble expanded before me, allowing me to see his message.

Tris,

I'm so so sorry. I can't stay here. You know why and I'm sorry I didn't talk to you first. I called my mother, begrudgingly, and took her up on her earlier offer. You know that I wouldn't go with her if I didn't have to. I'm getting on the plane as I speak. Tris, I want you to know I love you and I'm sorry that I had to leave. He has people everywhere and they would've found me. I'll miss you and I hope this isn't the last we see of each other. You won't be able to contact me, Evelyn's making me get rid of my phone. He'd be able to track it. I love you so much Tris. I'm glad we met that day, though I wish it would've been under different conditions. Thank you for that day and everyone since. Tell the gang I said thanks for letting me be part of your little dynamic. Tell them I said thanks for accepting me. Tell Zeke and Uriah especially that I'm thankful, tell them that I'll miss them. Don't tell them the whole thing yet, if we meet again I'll explain it to them. I love you so, so much Tris. I'm so sorry.

Love always,

Four.

The moment I finish reading his message, my fingers are typing in his number hand pressing call. Three times I do this, and three times his phone rings without an answer. The others at the table look at me weirdly, their eyebrows cocked.
" How could he" I whisper. Tears dampen my face, racing down my cheeks like crystalline orbs.

" What?" Zeke asks, hearing my incredulity

" How could he?" I sob louder.

" How could who? What Tris?" Zeke asks again. I can't find it I'm me to reply so I just slide my phone to him, Uriah looks on as well. as they read, I deliver his message to the group.

"Four says thanks" I cry " for letting him be part of the group" Zeke and Uriah gasp as they finish the message, wrapping their arms around me, allowing me to sob in their shoulders.

I can't stop crying to answer the groups questions so Zeke does it as Uriah hugs me while I cry. The bell sounds but no one moves, they're all to shocked. Though Tobias was only here for a short time, he made a serious impression on everyone. Chris has tears in her eyes, most likely because her ship is sunk.

The next half hour is a blur. The gang left the table, leaving Zeke, Uriah and I there alone. The boys took me to the car and drove me home, not making any move at conversation. They led me into the house and say silently on the couch with me. My parents came home to the three of us huddled on the couch, tears on my face and the boys arms around me.

" Wheres that boy?" Is the first thing my dad asks upon seeing my anguish. "He should've been out of here by now."

I have to think a moment before holding Zeke and Uriah back from hitting them. I want to do that myself. I rise from the couch, tears wiped away from my face, and get in my dad's face.

" He's gone" I whisper harshly. "BECAUSE YOU TWO WERE TO STUPID TO SEE HOW WONDERFUL HE WAS. YOU COULDN'T SEE HOW ABSOLUTELY PERFECT HE WAS BECAUSE YOU WERE TO SELFISH. YOU ALWAYS TAUGHT ME TO BE SELFLESS BUT YOU DROVE HIM AWAY BECAUSE YOU COULDNT HANDLE SHARING MY TIME. YOU SHOULDN'T GET A MOMENT OF MY TIME BECAUSE YOU WERE NEVER HERE." My voice reverberates through the house as I smack my hands on his chest and push him backwards.

I take a breath

" He's gone. He's gone because you couldn't look past your own desires to see the amazing person you were criticizing. You couldn't see how much I loved him. How much he loved me."

I turn, leaving my shocked parents to think on their stupidity, and walk through the door. My feet carry me to the park, into the clearing, the water clear and the trees green. There is residual specs of dew on the lush grass. The pond ripples from the fish that call it home. I ignore this, I ignore the beauty that usually captivates me, that stuns me with the wonders of nature. The only thing that interests me is the tree, the dark bark and the sturdy trunk. The lush green leaves high above me, swaying in the breeze. The single inconsistency in the healthy plant, the carved heart with the letters in the bark.

T.E.+T

There is no second initial behind my name. I'm saving it for when that can be an E too. It'll never be an E now. I thought this would last, never had I dreamed this would be so complicated. I think he thought it too, his confidence on the matter represented by a blank space on a tree, one that glares back at me now. He made me feel loved, wanted. He made
me feel whole. But now, now I am

A
l
O
N
E

[][][]
THE END

A/n:

That's it. It's over. End. Fin. Final. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

So, during this, I've had a load of people who have stuck by this book, and I am so, so thankful for you guys.

I want to especially thank my editor: fourtris_46forever , for helping me put out the best content I could.

Now, as a bit of a finishing celebration, were doing a two way question session. I'll ask you guys a few questions about this book and you ask me some.

So, I want you guys to leave me questions and I'll address all of them in a new chapter.

Thanks to all of you, I couldn't have done this without you guys. Thank you all for the reads and the votes and the amazingly sweet comments. Thank you

Completed on
5/26/2015

Stay fluffy 🐼