2: Home alone

As it so often is, the large house, composed on the outside of vibrant red bricks, toped with a tile roof, was devoid of life, empty save for the incessant whirring of the ceiling fans.

A hallway, lit by decadent lamps, stretched before me, a spot about halfway down hollowed out to give access to the stairs. This stairway would lead to the upper story, packed neatly with bedrooms and game rooms.

" Hello?" My voice echoed off the plastered walls, reverberating through the small room. It was pointless to call out as I knew I was here alone, the rest if my family surely on a trip of some sort.

My footsteps were muffled by the plush carpet, a beige fluffy pad that wove around the corners of the lavish house. to the right, a doorway opened into a massive living room, a TV mounted on a wall adjacent from an L shaped couch along with several other seats. The couch, arranged in the center of the room, was upholstered with a sleek shade of chocolate brown fabric. Behind the couch, was yet another doorway, showing the pristine kitchen and dining room.

A slew of profanities burst from my mouth as my toe hooked on the leg of the aforementioned couch, making me regret my decision to abandon my shoes by the door. One foot pounds against the ground as I pull my other to my chest, twisting my leg at an awkward angle to get it there.

Soon, the glaring pain in my poor toe died down, leaving me free to strut into the kitchen, a fairly modest room that, while it gave sufficient room for cooking, was not overly extravagant. The marble countertop, across from the tall black fridge, held the only imperfection of the room, a blue sticky note adhered to the smooth surface. I padded across the cool floor, having crossed from the warm fuzzy embrace of the carpet to the cold cruelty of the tile.

Beatrice,

Your father and I had to take a last minute trip to California for business reasons. We won't return for around a moth. Caleb is away in Texas at the regionals for the Math-A-Thon.

See you in a month,
Mom and dad

With a flick of my wrist the paper goes flying across the room, landing in a trash can. My hand closes around the cold handle of the cupboard, pulling it open to reveal a full stock of food. I never understood why my parents never hired a chef of a maid. I don't mine cleaning but cooking and I aren't the best of friends. We could afford it easily, with my mom being a fashion designer and my father being a producer.

After a quick snack I head back down the hallway and up the stairs, heading to by bedroom. The stairs open up into a large room, set up especially for playing games. There are several consuls under the large TV, along with a large case of games. The carpeting is that of the downstairs, plush and beige, running across the floor. Behind this room is a hallway, leading to several doors. I walk into the door that is my bedroom, closing myself inside. My room is fairly simple, with a canopy bed tucked in the corner and a fairly large bookshelf. A closet is flush with the wall, hidden behind a mirror, holding a vast amount of multi colored fabric. A chest of drawers stands tall in the opposite corner of the room, holding some smaller articles of clothing.

From that chest, I grab a tank top and some fuzzy pajama bottoms, striping from the clothes that I am already in. I adorned the sleepwear and crawled under the purple covers of my bed, staring at the posters that plastered the ceiling. Mostly Harry Potter with a few other posters scattered throughout.

A buzz from my side table rips my attention from the ceiling, my gaze landing on my phone. A text pops up on the screen, a message from Christina, my tall, mocha skinned, dark haired, friend.

'Goodnight Trissy'-C

' what did you do?'-T

'You don't have a boy to text you goodnight so I thought is do it'- C

'Goodnight Christina'-T

My phone falls from my hand onto the side table.my eyes slowly flicker closed, shutting out the waking world and pulling me into the dark void of sleep.