chapter two: cafeterias & cliques

TEN MINUTES LATER i'm following sofia down the hallway and to the cafeteria. we arrive through the double doorway and are suddenly in what seems to be a fishbowl. the whole junior class is sitting in one room, but sofia navigates it like a maze on a kids menu.

"sofia hey finally, sit down!" says a black-haired girl already sitting down at the table.

"hey i have a new roomie so i thought i'd bring her to meet you." sofia says turning to me.

"i'm val." i introduce smiling, trying to make a good first impression.

"do you have any extra gym clothes?" a brunette girl says as she sits down next to the black-haired girl.

"val this is adhira and now you have met lexi." announced sofia.

"oh—hi." says lexi as she realizes i was there.

"i think i have some in my locker but i'll need to check." adhira responds to lexi.

"hey sorry i'm late savannah was pestering me for the math answers." kris says as he arrives at the table.

"people still ask for math answers?" i say laughing.

"sav does at least." kris says back.

"and who's sav?" i ask, trying to gain context.

"right, forgot you don't know anyone." says kris.

"sav's a girl from new york," sofia says leaning close to me.

"she's best friends with claire." sofia continues.
kris rolls his eyes at the mention of this claire.

"okayyyyy, and who's claire?" i ask.

"rich bitch who we all don't like. her dads a shoe-in for governor though." kris explains.

"of massachusetts?" i question.

"no, rhode island, democrat at least." kris answers.

"oh." i say back, suddenly realizing the types of people here.

"sofia here actually used to be best friends with her." kris says seeming to tease sofia.

"well yeah. we've always been family friends, but got like–super close in ninth grade. then the summer going into sophomore year she threw this big party at her beach house." says sofia.

"and..." kris pesters for sofia to continue.

"annnnd mine was only a few doors down, so i heard it and realized that she didn't invite me. and i still don't know why." sofia finishes.

"oh. i'm sorry." i say.

"yeah, but it's whatever now. we don't talk anymore. but now, i have even better best friends." sofia adds, smiling at end.

"aw wow thank you!" lexi says jokingly with a mouth full of pretzels.

"oh val what class do u have next period?" sofia asks me.

i open my phone to go to the picture of my schedule reading my 6th period; gym.

"unfortunately, gym." i answer.

"so do i." kris says happily.

"and me."
"and me!" lexi and adhira chime in.

"fuck you all then" sofia says laughing.

"if it makes you feel better i'll probably be in the nurses office or something." i say to sofia.

"oh you still have your mint?" she asks.

"of course, my plan is genius." i proudly say.

"yeah until you're almost dead in the hospital because of 10 grams of peppermint." kris brings up.

"actually, i'm allergic to spearmint. but we'll just hope it all works the same." i say to the group.

the bell rings, signaling the whole cafeteria to leave to their next class.

"come on new girl!" kris says grabbing my hand and walking out the cafe with adhira and lexi next to us.

i quickly pop the mint into my mouth and frantically walk with the group towards the track outside, but before we do i leave kris and follow adhira and lexi into the girls locker room.

"do you think these clothes would pass for gym clothes?" i ask the girls as i stand in bootcut jeans and a fitted white top.

"maybe the shirt, but i have some sweatshorts you can wear." adhira offers.

she hands me a small pair of navy blue sweatshorts with the school logo and name on the side.

"okay these will work, thanks." i say even though i'm not wanting to participate.

"great let's go." lexi says as she finishes slipping on a white t-shirt.

we walk out a door and into the track outside. it's huge. the football field lies in the middle but i can see a soccer, baseball, and tennis court on the sides.

i've been to nice schools before, but most european schools don't have school sports teams, so i'm still in awe by it.

as we walk out my throat starts to get slightly itchy, so i make my way to what looks to be a coach or gym teacher of some sort.

"excuse me, hi." i say approaching the middle-aged man.

"oh uhm. how can i help you?" he says taking notice of me.

"sorry i'm new as of—today, but my throats feeling super itchy and it might be because i had a peppermint from the front office." i let the man know.

"or i assumed it was peppermint. i'm allergic to spearmint, so i guess it just had some in there." i finish my sentence to explain to the teacher.

"okay, do you need the nurse?" he asks, concerned.

"i think if i just sit out and drink some water i'll be fine." i say smiling.

"just head on up to the bleachers, where the girl in the navy hoodie is." he says with his head turning towards the bleachers, mine going with it to reveal a brunette sitting on about the tenth row up from the ground.

"perfect, thank you so much." i say walking away and towards the bleachers.