chapter twenty eight: the kiss

I STEP OUT of the car and harshly push the door behind me. i don't look back as i march back into the building and straight towards my bedroom. i don't look at the clock when i get inside. when we were driving home it began raining, so i drag dirt into the hallway, leaving my own trail of disparity.

i slam the door to my dorm and instantly sink to the door, sobbing. why do i feel like this? i'm so in love with a girl that i feel like i can't even be with. but i can't stop. i thought everything was right with her, and now she's acting weird with riley.

my sobs choke me up and i move to my bed. i haven't cried this hard since i went to paris. i take off my clothes in between my cries and remain stripped in my bed as i try to catch my breath. i'm overwhelmed by sadness. i just sit there and let it out.

my puffy face readjusts as i get up to put on some comfy clothes. i still don't know what time it is, and much has passed since i got back. if all just bled into one night of sadness. i look outside to the uncovered outside, rainy and loud. i think it's storming. i get up to close them and cover myself from the world. as i walk towards my desk i notice a draw left slightly open to my dresser. when i pull to open it, there's an unfamiliar picture in a sparkly silver frame sitting inside.

the picture was from a night in the city with claire

the picture was from a night in the city with claire. i remember that night, and how we were just blossoming. then i realize, i never put that picture in my drawer, let alone frame it.

it was claire.

she printed a picture and framed it for me. now i'm crying again, bud this time out of longing, but it's happier. she loves me. and i love her.

she put this in my room knowing i'd show it off and treasure it forever. i'm fully smiling now, tears pouring out along with release.

i need to see her, to hug; to embrace her. i get up and walk out the door. i rush over as fast as i can to get to claire's dorm, picture frame in hand. i push to open the door, and it's unlocked.

"hey claire i—" my voice cuts off as i see claire sitting on her bed, riley moving her lips towards her. i drop the picture frame in shock. this is actually happening. riley's kissing claire.

SMASH!

the picture frame shatters on the floor and claire and riley instantly noticed me.

i hear a "what the fuck." come out of my mouth before turning to walk out, slamming her door behind me.

"val, val wait!" i hear claire call, but i continue heading out angrily.

how could she kiss riley?