chapter twenty six: three's a crowd

TODAY'S FRIDAY MORNING is both irritating and liberating. i wake up, annoyed obviously that i have to do school work. and especially because i have so much to catch up on. yet i persevere, and skip lunch to spend it in the library to finish homework. my classes are kept civil with kris, lexi, and adhira and i keep my distance. i think we all just need to heal.

majesties tn? brightens my phone while i finish up my free period, again in the library.

u sure u want 2? i confirm with her.
ya y not she responds a second later.
idk j making sure i text back.

last night ended on an odd note, so i'm a bit surprised claire so eagerly texted back. but that's probably a good thing—right?

i push through the day with lots of school work and awkward interactions with my previous friends. i'm finishing up my english assignment when claire texts me asking:

ready 2 go??

i've barely left the bed in the past 4 hours, but that doesn't stop me from typing 'ya but give me like 10.'

i hop out of bed and into a white miniskirt and light pink top, throwing on some wool tights and a cream cardigan. i fix up my makeup and head out the front to claire's red car.

i notice her in it turning and talking to the back seat. that's odd, and as i walk further my serenity evaporates.

of course, riley ruelas is in claire's back seat.

"hi!" i say directly to claire and i attempt to cover my irritation.

i don't know what the fuck it is with riley? it's not like she's done anything particularly wrong, but she's so painfully neutral. like that day in gym, we had nothing in common until she randomly started to agree with everything i said, suspiciously at the same time claire pointed that out. and then now she just shows up at the weirdest times. on halloween too, but then right as i get out of my girlfriends car? as if she was watching the whole time? it's just peculiar. but i'm not the jealous type, so i swallow my pride and try my best.

"hey!" the most gorgeous girl in the car says. i go in to slightly hug her and when i do i whisper "why is riley here?"

luckily claire's radio is what i would hope to be loud enough that riley on her phone isn't being attentive.

"she needed a ride." she says back to me in our awkward embrace.

"does she know?" i ask in reference to claire and i's relationship.

"kinda, but she won't say." oh my god. i am struggling so hard not to roll my eyes right now.

i pull away from the hug and quietly say 'hi' to riley in the fakest manner ever. that's the best i can do.

"oh fuck what's the theme tonight?" i ask about majesties.

"don't worry, it's glow in the dark! it's gonna be practically pitch black." claire states. it bothers me how happy she is that no one's gonna spot us. i mean if riley knows than why does she give a fuck who else does?

okay, let's breathe. i'm not the jealous type, i am not the jealous type. typically.

my mood is decreasing until a song comes on the car that riley hooked her phone up to. it's style by taylor swift. the classic claire and val anthem!

"i love this song oh my god!!" claire enthusiastically exclaims, and i can't help but agree.

"best song ever—"