chapter four: a pondside-picnic

I CLOSE MY COPY OF TWILIGHT: NEW MOON simultaneously as sofia walks through the bathroom door.

"you ready?" she asks as i sit up.

i see her dressed in a new outfit of a white lace tank and soft yellow midi skirt, immediately making me feel underdressed in my plain white tee and jeans.

"i should change my outfit." i tell her.

"you look fine, but just make it quick. kris is already there." sofia says wandering into the bathroom.

i open up my dressers drawers to look through my options. i change into a white tank and throw a knitted cardigan over it, and slipped on a red floral mini skirt.

"okay i'm done." i say heading into the bathroom to find sofia applying some lip gloss.

"wow all done up!" sofia says as she turns to see my outfit.

"i guess!" i say laughing.

"now let's go i am starving." i add before heading out sofia's bedroom door.

we grab a bagged dinner from the cafe and head down the hallway to a side door. the fresh air brushes through my hair and refreshes my skin. sofia and i go down a grassy hill to see a group of people sitting by a pond. a few gingham blankets covered the green where the students sat.

"hey guys!" sofia says as we approach the group.

i quickly recognize the brunette boy from gym class, along with adhira, lexi, kris, and three other girls and a boy whom i don't know the names of.

"finally thought you were never coming down here." lexi says.

"i would have left earlier but someone needed to get ready." sofia says, bumping me to signal to the group i took some extra time.

"okay sorry just wanted to look presentable" i say back laughing.

"oh bye the way everyone this is val, she's my new roommate and new best friend you are all replaced." sofia laughs, gripping my arm as we sit in a open space next to kris and lexi.

it was also the spot where kyle from gym was sitting; well it was right across from his blanket.

"and all these people are lila, shea, kayla, daniel and—"

"kyle." the brunette boy cuts off sofia's introduction, smiling across from me.

"uhm yeah." sofia laughs at kyle interrupting her.

i smile at everyone, glad that i'm familiar with more people now.

"so val where are you from?" a blonde girl i believe was named lila asks.

"i just moved from paris, but right now my parents are living at my grandparents in connecticut." i answer.

"hold up—paris? that's beyond cool." says another girl i recall as kayla.

"you never told me your from paris!" sofia says.

"well i'm not particularly from anywhere, but yeah i lived there from like the beginning of the past summer to...now." i finish.

"i've been to paris a few times and it's gorgeous." lila says.

"yeah i wouldn't be surprised ms. model." pokes shea.

"you're a model?" i ask.

"pretty much. i'm from boston which is why i go here, but i spent the summer in L.A and i'm seriously considering living there. plus it's a big hotspot for jobs." lila explains.

"you'd trade east coast for west just for some extra gigs?" says the boy sitting next to kyle; daniel i'm pretty sure.

"well if it means i can escape my crazy mother than of course." lila laughs.

"your moms so nice don't be rude." shea says.

"yeah but she's always meddling whenever i'm at jobs, so moving to L.A is what will keep her out. but yes, you guys can still stay at my house in boston." lila adds.

"great because kyle and i need to finish that foosball game from last saturday." daniel vocalizes.

"okay but not tomorrow night though, i heard it's a themed night at majesties." kyle says.

"what's majesties..?" i ask joining the conversation.

"it's an 18 and under teen club in the city, they do nights where you have to wear something according to a theme." sofia describes.

"what's the theme?" i follow up.

"tomorrow's is—90's night." sofia responds.

"so like? dress like it's the 90s?" i question.

"or 90s characters!" kayla says realizing the potential.

"oh wait yes totally!" shea exclaims.

"the possibilities are endless—the 90s were such a prime for film." lila says.

"any ideas?" sofia asks, turning to me directly.

"i'll figure it out tomorrow." i smile back, trying to narrow down an idea that will plant a perfect impression on the group.

our dinner continues as the sun sets, just chatting and conversing. sofia and i are the last to head back, and i finally feel comfortable with her, despite today being the first time i met her.

sofia's outfit for a better visual:

val's outfit for a better visual: