Forty-One🐄

The next morning we got up really early to check on the animals and do our rounds

Poppy was back to her old self and was cheery when we went to feed the piglets.

"I need to hold one." She said picking one up cuddling it in her arms.

"You really want to keep one, don't you? Maybe we can talk your dad into letting us keep just one." I said.

"Really Luke? I think I can talk dad into one." She smiled.

"Ok then work your magic here he comes." I laugh.

"Hi, dad! Good morning!" Poppy said.

"Morning sweetheart! What do you want?" He chuckled.

"Dad Luke said I could keep a piglet if you agree to it. What do you think?" She asked.

"Sure keep a couple if you want. Just pick a boy and girl but from different litters so we can mate them later on." He said.

"Well, that was easier than I thought." Poppy laughed looking at me.

"Pick names for them too Poppy and make tags," I said.

"I never could tell that girl no. Looks like you have the same problem Luke." Worth laughed.

"Oh, I already have names for them. Wilber and Wilhelmina." She laughed.

"W&W it is then." I laughed.

While she made name tags I finished feeding the animals and then around to give the horses some apples.

We didn't have many so when Poppy came back I told her we needed to go pick apples from the orchard.

"Sounds good! I saw Romeo out with dad." She said.

We gathered the buckets and got on the side by side. When we rode by dad Romeo was just standing there.

"Want to go Romeo?" I said.

He jumped on the side by side and we laughed as we took off toward the orchard.

Once we pull up we grab apples and I watch as Poppy throws one to Romeo and he runs after it.

Once the buckets were full I loaded them on the side by side and joined Poppy and Romeo over in the grass under the tree to have an apple.

"Here you go," I said to her.

"Can I have a kiss first?" She asked.

I leaned over and pressed my lips to hers and Romeo started barking at us.

"I think someone is jealous." I laughed.

"Kinda seems like it." She laughed biting into her apple.

We stayed under that tree for quite a while just enjoying time together.

My phone beeped and I pulled it out of my pocket and it was my mom.

📱 Luke you and Poppy come over this evening I'm making lasagna.

"Mom is asking us to come over for dinner she's making lasagna," I said.

"Sounds good Luke." She said.

📱 Sounds good mom what time?

📱 Come around 5.

📱 See you then.

"Moms lasagna is one of my favorites. We won't offend Clara will we?" I asked.

"Of course not Luke." She said petting Romeo.

"Just making sure." I smiled at her and leaned over for a kiss.

"We better go finish our chores so we can go home and shower and go over to your parents." She said.

"Sounds like a plan let's go," I said getting up and helping her up.

We got on the side by side and Romeo barked. "I guess he's ready to go." Poppy laughed.

Once the chores were done we told Worth we wouldn't be here for dinner and we went home and took a shower together and then headed over to my parent's house.

I knocked on the door and then walked in. "Mom it's us!"

"Come on in the kitchen guys!" She hollered.

"The food actually just got ready." Mom said.

"Where is dad?" I asked.

"He's outside in the garage do you mind to go get him, Luke?"

"Sure mom," I said walking outside to find dad.

"Hey, dad! Dinner is ready!"

"Hey, Luke! Alright, I was just out here working on this old car." He said wiping his hands on a grease rag. 

When we walked back in Poppy was helping mom set the table. She looked at me and smiled and damn her smile melts my heart.

I walked over and kissed the side of her head before sitting down.

"So I'm guessing Owen isn't coming?" I asked.

"No last minute he called to say he couldn't make it." Mom said.

"I really enjoyed meeting him at the wedding." Poppy said.

"I hate he doesn't come around often but well they train a lot," Dad said.

"We understand dad. I just don't like not seeing him." I said.

"This lasagna is delicious Daisy!" Poppy said.

"Thanks sweetie I'm glad you like it. I know you are used to Clara's cooking." Mom laughed.

"Mom she spoils us so much it's not funny." I laugh.

After dinner dad and I went to the couch to talk while Poppy helped mom clean up. She insisted and mom couldn't say no.

"So how is Ranch life, Luke?"

"It's great dad. Plus being married is better than I expected."

"I'm so proud of you Luke and happy you found Poppy. She's a great addition to the family.

"She's the best dad. I don't know what I would do without her." I said.

"That's how I feel about your mother. That's true love." He smiled.

Poppy walked out with mom and handed me something in a napkin and it was Mom's lemon bars.

"Oh, mom you made my favorites!" I smiled.

"Of course I know they are your favorite Luke and I had to make them." Mom smiled.

"I've tried to get you to make them forever and you wouldn't Daisy!" Dad chuckles.

"Well, I was waiting for when the kids come over Ron." She laughed.

"Well, I must say these things are delicious!" Poppy smiled.

"Did you make enough for us to take home mom?" I asked.

"You know I did." She smiled.