21 - school = hell

And I have a feeling that's going to be difficult

--------------

As soon as I walk into the school building I feel the nerves getting worse

As soon as I walk into the school building I feel the nerves getting worse. My hands begin to get clammy and, not knowing what to do, I begin to fidget with the end of my sleeves. I see a sign with secretarial services and walk towards it. I've seen that in a movie, that everyone then goes to the secretariat on their first day. Behind the desk at the secretariat sits a little old lady who looks quite nice.

"Uhm hello," I mumble hesitantly. Should I really go to the secretariat? The woman looks up from the computer and smiles.

"Hello sweetie, what can I do for you?" Her voice is raspy but soft. I pull at the sleeve of my blazer.

"Uhm I'm new," I explain. The woman nods.

"Okay, and what's your name sweetie?" Asks the woman. Uhm what's my name?

"Eleanor," I smile. The woman types something on her computer.

"Eleanor who?"

"Ricci?" It comes out more like a question. I still think it's ricci.... unless my brothers signed me up with a different name. Maybe I do have a different name. The woman types something into the computer again.

"Aha I see, you were supposed to come last week," the woman looks at me inquiryly through her glasses. Nervously I rub the tip of my left foot against the back of my right leg.

"Uhm yeah something came up," I lie, well it's not lying something came up, namely learning to read. The woman nods and hands me a stack of books, a few papers and a key. That weighs a lot.

"Okay these are your school books," she points to the books with the pen in her hand.

"This is your class schedule," she points to a white paper.

"And this is the floor plan," she grabs the floor plan and unfolds it.

"This is room 203A, that's where you have your first class," the woman circles the room.

"And this is the path you must follow to get there," with the pen she draws lines across the floor plan going from the secretary to the classroom.

"And this here," she circles a spot. "That's your locker," she explains.

"Okay thanks," I smile. The woman smiles back.

"That's my job, but you're welcome. Good luck on your first day of school," I thank the woman again and walk away with everything in my hands. I first go find my locker so I can put the books I don't need in there. I'm just about to turn a corner when I bump into someone. The collision causes me to drop my books and the girl I ran into spills her drink on her white blouse. Shocked, the girl gasps for breath before looking at me.