A Date for a Collar

"I'll be over after my shift. Have you reported her return to the DDHA?" Isabelle asks over the phone. I started calling around as soon as Mila and I had both calmed down and she finished her story.

"I have. I know they are watching us, so I figured it best not to wait." I huff. I hate that I had to make that decision, but I have no choice. Them finding out on their own would be worse than me notifying them.

"It was a smart call. They probably knew the moment she arrived. Are you going anywhere today?" She asks.

"No. We're staying in today. I have to work tomorrow, but I'm required to stay here with Mila until they arrive tomorrow morning. I already got an email from the office directing me to come in "as soon as I am able" so they must know, too." I answer.

"Good. I'll be off in a few hours. See you then. And Jake, I'm glad she came back." I can hear the smile in her voice.

"See you then." I click the end call button and look at Mila.

"Is she coming over?" Mila asks.

I give her a knowing grin. "I know you heard the whole conversation. No use playing like you didn't."

Her return grin is lopsided. I shake my head and walk into the kitchen where I grab some ice and wrap it in cloth. I hand her the ice pack and she puts it on her black eye.

"Think she'll be able to help us?" Mila asks weakly.

"I don't know. I guess we'll find out." I shrug and watch Mila.

I told her I forgive her and I do, that doesn't mean I trust her. How do I know she isn't just biding her time until she can escape again? Then again, why come back here if she was already free? Maybe she just wants to have her wounds tended to first?

Mila looks to be lost in thought. Then she looks at me with one golden eye.

"There's more to her than we know, I think. We should trust her."

I nod. Without thinking, I respond. "She's the only one I do trust right now."

It takes a second for me to register my words. Mila must have reached the meaning at the same time as me because she looks away from me as I look away from her.

I feel bad, yet, it's a true statement. I firm my resolve and look back at her.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say it like that."

"But you mean it." She looks back at me. I expect her expression to be angry, maybe defensive, not resigned. "I understand. It's hard to trust when none is received. Don't be sorry." She steps closer to me a looks down, her ears a few inches away from my face. "I know I've said this before, and didn't mean it. So, I doubt you'll believe me this time, but I promise I won't run again. If you'll have me, and I dont get taken away, I want to stay, with you."

By the end of her statement, Mila is looking up at me, a mixture of emotions I don't recognize on her delicate, broken features.

I give her a soft smile and pat her head gently. This makes her tail perk up and her ears twitch.

"You can stay. Even if I didn't want you to, I can't trade you in, remember? I'm stuck with you, even if you are a naughty kitty." I tease.

Her head leans into my chest. I wrap her loosely in my arms as to not squeeze her ribs too tightly. I might have forgiven her, but my memory is sharp. I won't forget. Yet, I don't want her to leave and for some reason I can't stay mad at her.

I break the contact and take a step back.

"We should probably let you relax and rest. You look like you need it."