The Lay of the Land

A voice echoes through my nearly empty office from the T.V. panel in the wall.

...As you can see here, DDHA Agent Bardy did not survive the blast. Agent William's body was never found. He is presumed dead.  The Demi-Human they were retrieving...

I tune out the newscaster again. The report has been playing on a loop since I arrived this morning. I twiddle the holo chip Fredrick left with the girls in my left hand, looking at it. Isabelle was explicit in the fact that Fredrick does not want me to look into the data contained within.

"Why are you here, Stone?"

I look up to see Shelley standing in the doorway.

"I thought I gave you express direction to remain at home while you and your lady friend are healing." She adds firmly.

"I know. And I won't be here too much longer. I just needed someplace I can think uninterrupted." I wave her off.

Shelley chuckles. "Need a break from all the sex?"

I scowl at her, my cheeks burning. "You could say that. Why are you here, Ms. Steele? If no one else is here, I figured you'd be home resting too."

She walks past me and looks out the window. "The work never ends for the boss, Jake. I figure if you don't already know that, you will soon." Then she turns back to me. "I have something I have been instructed to give you."

I look at her, curious. "What is it?"

Shelley hands me another holo chip, similar to the one I tucked away when she entered the room.

"It will only work on your personal projector. I recommend watching it alone." Shelley says coldly before walking out, stopping at the gaping hole I have for a door. "Brandon really did a number on this, didn't he." Shelley looks back at me and shakes her head. "We'll replace it while you're off. I do not want to see you again for another three weeks, Mr. Stone." And without another look or word, she disappears into the hallway.

I look at both holo chips. They are identical. Cheap and used. Yet, they seem ominous. Part of me wants to fire them up here and now. I even have my personal projector with me. Although, doing so in a room without a door seems dangerous. Frederick went out of his way to make sure his chip was not found by his co-workers, and Shelley's came with a warning.

Where am I going to examine these? An idea hits me and I get out of my seat. I wander through the eerily empty building, down a few floors, and to a familiar office. I walk in and shut the door behind me.

My old office is as empty as my new one, only half the size and much less fancy. They still have not placed a new agent here yet. The best part? A door that locks. I close the blinds and make sure no one can interrupt me.

I set my projector up to display on the wall across from the desk. I get a feeling of nostalgia from the act. It's the same process I use when working on a new project. After some heavy deliberation, I view the chip from Ms. Steele. It only contains one file, a voice recording.

I cock an eyebrow curiously as I push play. The voice is deep and male.

"It has come to my attention that you recently purchased a Demi-Human. I have a particular interest in her. Twenty-fifth and forth. Bring her to the eighth floor soon."

The screen that shows the progress of the recording as it plays flashes out of sight and words appear.

It is highly recommended you take this seriously. Please do not make someone have to come and get you.

Then, the program closes and the words "file eradicated, have a nice day" appear and then disappear.

I blink a few times, my mind tumbling over itself in confusion and weariness.