Hard Time

I curse loudly and hit the cement pillar nearby. Isabelle is just standing in front of my car, wide eyed, while George is taking pictures.

My precious, beautiful car has been vandalized. Shattered glass from the windows and lights is scattered all around. Every tire has slashes in them. The hood has multiple dents that look like they came from a bat. Across each door and the truck, spray paint spells out "Demi-ist". Even if the car was operational, I still wouldn't take it to work.

Frustration and outrage boil inside my gut. I've already received a bunch of hate mail over my "Green Ribbon" campaign, but I never expected this. Who would go to such extremes? I would understand if my project was very forward thinking, or hinted at equality. Yet, it's a baby step in that way, only pushing that Demies are more than pets. I know anything further than that would cause problems. So, I am keeping it low key.

I let out a small sigh. If my project makes one Demi's life better, then it will all be worth it, right?

"I'm so sorry, Jake." Isabelle says to me in hushed tones. She bumps her head softly into my back, clinging to me.

I turn in her grip until I can put my arms around her. "It isn't your fault."

She pulls away slightly, looking apprehensive.

Before I can question the look, George interrupts with a slight throat clearing.  "Mister Stone. I have completed my report and finished with the pictures. Would you like copies of each?"

"Thank you, George. I would appreciate it.  I will need to send them to the insurance people." I answer, breaking away from Isabelle to shake George's hand. "Are there any videos?"

George grumbles slightly, looking like he is thinking. "There may be a good image. That's next on my list. Want me to send you the videos i find?"

"If you are allowed to, that would great. Again, thank you, George. We all feel much safer with you around."

George nods approvingly at my comment before gesturing good bye and leaving.

I feel pressure on my back as Isabelle leans into me. I can barely make out her comment.

"Has he been able to stop anyone from doing anything? He looks like he should be retired by now."

Her disbelieving tone gets a small chuckle out of me. I turn to her again and pull her closer. Ever since we finished our date, she seems to touch me a lot.

"He is a good guy, Izzy, and he does work hard. The men under him don't mind picking up the slack, but I think we need to hire some Demies."

Isabelle scowls briefly at my comment. "Why Demies?"

"Well, I have had two different Neko break into the building without being noticed. I think we need to increase our guard's capability. Maybe we can get some personal Demies who have returned to the pits moved over to Labor Services for this kind of thing." I suggest.

"That would be good." Isabelle now looks excited. "It's because you think like that..." She trails off and turns bright pink.

"What is?" I ask with a grin.

"What?" She plays dumb, looking cute. Before I can tease her about it, her phone rings. "I'm sorry, Jake. It's work. Do you.mind?"

"Uh huh, sure it is. Go ahead." I nod.

Isabelle ends up being called in. The kiss we share is passionate, lasting much longer than is needed. That doesn't stop me for pulling her into another quick one before she gets into her car.

I return to very odd sight. Both of the Neko are cleaning. That isn't the weird part. It's the fact that neither is looking at nor speaking to the other. I figured long-separated friends would have more to say.  Something is up with this, I just don't know what.