"Duty" or "Family"

"Okay, Master. I doubt I will make a good one, though. I haven't been around her long enough to know what she needs. Let me hear the options." Mila says hesitantly.

My breath catches. I hate these two options. Either one has major downsides. I don't want to cause Mila to feel whatever it was she just unleashed again. I'm glad she did. She's finally allowing herself to feel something other than fear. That doesn't mean I like making her feel that way and what I'm about the say might cause more to surface.

"The first option is to call a friend of a friend. They will take her off and place her into Demie heavy location. The DDHA has its hands full right now and she'll likely go unnoticed if she plays her cards right."

I watch Mila for a reaction. Getting none, I continue.

"The other choice is pretty easy to see. We call Fredrick." I shrug. "He comes and gets her and she's back into the system."

A slight jolt of fear crosses Mila's face before turning thoughtful. I wait her out. It takes a long minute.

"You said "honestly" and "completely". What's the rest, Master?" Mila says, looking expectant.

I can't help the tiny grin I feel cross my lips before I force seriousness. This isn't an easy choice I am placing on her. It is like having to choose between duty and family.

"If we call our friend's friend, she'll either get caught eventually, or have to live under the radar. We both know being labeled a runaway is worse than us turning her over."

This is the hard part.

"If we turn her over to the DDHA, it is more than likely she will be arrested for the murder of Mr. Avery."

I'm surprised when Mila doesn't react much. She just nods slowly, as if waiting for me to continue.

"If she does escape with the friend, it is likely you will remain the DDHA's prime suspect." I try to keep my concern out of my voice. It's hard, but I think I manage it.

"I see. Is there anything else I should know before thinking about my choice?" She asks. I'm surprised she can go from a wreck to composed and considerate this fast.

I'll never understand women.

"Nothing that concerns you." I decide to say. She doesn't need to know everything. Not when it might not matter.

"That can't be true. I know there has to be more to this. Unseen consequences you're not telling me about. Right now, it's either me or her. Pick her to be free, or me to be free. That's not all there is to this."

Mila doesn't look angry, despite the overflow of words. She's reasoning out the truth. I want to sigh. I'm running out of "I shouldn't be surprised". I need to just drop all expectations I have of Mila. Maybe for all the people I know.

"There's a few..." I shake my head in acquiescence. "You're right. If you are convicted for the murder, it's likely I will be arrested too. That's worst case. It could also be a very heavy fine. That's if the friend doesn't intervene. If they do, I would have to join their...organization."

I am still struggling to digest all of this myself. After I was attacked, Isabelle took me to the doctor. On the way back, she told me everything she was hiding too.

"What organization?" Mila asks, looking stern.

"The Demi-ists. Apparently, we know someone who is very remotely connected to them" I give her a meaningful look.

"Isn't that those guys blowing stuff up for "Demi-Human Rights?" Mila asks, using finger quotes.

I almost snort laugh. It takes a deep breath and looking away from Mila to keep my composure. When I look back I see another rarity. She's smiling.