It Started With The Rain

It started with the rain, it poured like the sky was crying for the love I was about to lose.

I walked with precision because today was a special day for me. For us. I had just came from school and my plans couldn't have fallen at a better time. The restaurant was beautiful inside and out so I made sure to dress with class and grace. My hair fell at shoulder length and bounced every so often when my heels made contact with the pavement.

He was waiting for me, like the snake charmer he was, wrapping his body around mines and whispering things that made me fall to my knees with heart eyes only for him. I should've known better, I should've read between the lines and run away from him as far as I can and as fast as I can to save me the heartbreak.

I walked into the restaurant with the hostess taking me over to a private room in the back of the building. The door slides open for me and there he was, in all his glory. My misery molded into a man.

"Hey baby, were you waiting long? The mock trial took longer than expected." I smiled holding my purse that dangled by my side tighter as I greeted him.

He gave me that favorable smile he always did that made me fall for him more and got up from his chair to pull out mines. The man had the nerve to be a gentleman too. I giggled while he slides my chair up for me and took my purse and coat. His eyes looked away from my face and skimmed down my body, the same one he enjoyed using for his own pleasure, and bit his lip teasingly.

"I wasn't waiting long." He bent down coming in contact with my lips and I sighed blissfully in my head. I was so happy.

He sat down across the table from me and read over the menu. I looked down with bright eyes fantasizing about what I was feeling for but before I could put in my order, he spoke.

"She's gonna have what I'm having." He said snatching my menu away from my hands and putting them together to hand to the waiter.

I looked at him for a moment, with helpless eyes like a child begging for candy. For once I wanted to pick my own meal since every time we have a date, he always ordered what he thinks I would want. Which over time, I learned to accept from being together for so long but today was our anniversary.

"I think I want to order something else. I didn't even get a chance to look at the menu." I smiled softly but was given a frown and a shrug.

"You don't need to that's why I ordered for you." He stated simply replacing his brown gaze down at his phone replying to texts and emails. Or at least that's what I thought he was doing at the dinner table.

I played with the folds of my dress twisting my lips around thinking about the words I wanted to say. The room we occupied was rather large and was enough space to fit about ten people but it only sat me and him. It must have cost a fortune to even book a restaurant so grand but that's just who he is. He pulls tricks out of his hat many times for me and I'm never left feeling special.

"So, honey, how was work?" I voiced pushing away at the wrinkles that laid on the tablecloth. I've been hearing from friends and family that he has a surprise for me and I've been thinking of about a million things it could be. I grow nervous by the second feeling the baby butterflies' wings flutter around my ribcage.

"It was good babe, I just couldn't wait to see you. I have something important to tell you." He said setting his phone face-first on the table as he gave me his undivided attention.

My body leaned in closer as if it was waiting for the question. "Yes?" I asked.

He brought his knuckles to his lips clearing his throat and then pulled against his tie that hung tight around his neck. He was nervous. And I could feel the waterworks trickling up and were ready to be released. This is it.