Over The Horizon

"Did I get to tell you about my dad?" Taehyung's hand's stayed on my waist as the waves crashed against the shoreline. I rest my head against his shoulder and his body brought me warmth.

I played with the fabric of his shirt, the rips of his jeans, the hairs on his arm, anything to feel close to him. His lips would graze my lips before they landed on my cheek and on my temples. His way of still comforting me.

"No," I replied still casting a stare at the never-ending sea. "You said you didn't have one."

Taehyung sighed and rubbed my side a bit harshly showing his irritation. I removed my head and looked up at his jaw clenching and his eyes hardening as he took a sharp breath. His shoulders dropped and his eyes softened with a glaze. The start of him opening the door to his world.

I grabbed his face so he could look at me. He stares harshly and his emotions become waxy and mixed together. He's trying his earnest not to reveal his demons.

"Because he left us; me and my mom. I don't remember him as much but I've got a few pictures from when he and my mom used to still date. Regardless of what my mom says, I am a spitting image of my father and it's probably why my family hates me." He looked away and pulled me closer as our bodies could somehow mold together and become one.

"There was a time where my father was known as being a playboy, he was always popular with the ladies even when they were together. He just...couldn't stay single. When my mom got pregnant with me their parents rushed them into marriage even though they had only been dating for a few months. She thought he would love her more now that she carried his child and maybe finally stop flirting around with other women."

"But my dad could never commit. This was by far his longest relationship and it was only because he slipped up and got her pregnant. Once I was born things seemed to change for a moment at least. In the hospital, he wouldn't let me down, even when he was told to by the nurses. I didn't cry though. My mom said I was the quietest in my dad's arms and it was her first time seeing him shed a tear. In her eyes, he had finally come around to step up to the role, but after a few short months, he left in the middle of the night, with only a note that told her to not come looking for him."

Taehyung pursued his lips out and tugged them back in his mouth. He played with the hem of my shorts but didn't look in my direction.

The wind snapped and whirled. The sea screamed a sad scream and goosebumps grew on my skin. His words were as sad as the souls lost at sea and I tried my best not to imagine a baby Taehyung left without a father to guide him.

It made sense in more ways than one when he talked about his dad's commitment issues. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree even if he doesn't realize it.

I touch his hand and rubbed over his skin to comfort him. Taehyung looked down and his face twitched. He's never had someone to comfort him whenever he was feeling sad or upset. He's been moving around half his life trying to catch up with his mother that he hadn't had time to truly rationalize his thoughts or feelings.

He reminds me so much of me. Both people just lost to the world because our parents truly didn't need to be parents in the first place. And now look at us, sitting out by the ocean, half-frozen to death but warm because we are just that close. We are just that similar.

"I know in some ways I'm just like my dad and I'm sorry. But regardless of what my mom said she had met someone that I was in love with once." He continued and my ears perked up. His mom said she hadn't met anyone but clearly this was a lie.

"You were?" I asked and he nodded his head. I wanted to laugh if it was possible. Thinking about Taehyung in love was a thought I never thought of having. It reminded me just how human he really is.