Take It Home

"I'm going to miss you, Ellie." Aunt Melissa sheds a tear as she hugs me tightly. "You've grown up so fast."

I wrapped my arms around her small figure placing my face in the crook of her neck. Her scent of lavender and vanilla encodes itself into my brain. It's becoming harder to face the day that I have to leave even though so much of my newer self was born here. It's like stealing a mother away from her child. Like I'm abandoning my truer self.

But I've grown to learn that I'm taking that part of myself with me and slowly shed my skin to become her. I find peace knowing that at least. Aunt Melissa on the other hand can't seem to let me go.

Her hands wrap around my filled-out waist and squeeze me tight. So tight I lose my breath but laugh anyway. I know she's going to miss me, she always does this when it is time for me to leave. Whenever I visit we always become so close like the bond has finally been attached after being separated for so long.

In spite of my glowing face, I'm trying my best not to cry in her arms. Taehyung stands beside me watching the two crumbling women hug each other like it's their last day on earth. He slings his bag over his shoulder and does a manly hug with Uncle David.

"Can't you stay, just one more day?" For the first time in my life, I look at my Aunt and see how small she really is. Her personality and her character make her seem larger than life but right now, her frail soft-spoken words with tears clouding her vision makes her look like a child. I'm afraid to let go.

I take her in by the shoulders. "You know I can't Auntie, how else am I supposed to graduate?"

She sniffles. "But you've grown so much while being here, I'm afraid to let you go back into the world now." My heart pulses in my chest as I swallow deeply.

"I'm gonna come back and you're going to my graduation in a few months which will fly by fast I promise."

She sniffles one last time before getting a good look at me and it's like she's looking at me with a pair of fresh eyes. She smiles softly, hair framing around her face and the daintiness of a dimple embedded into her cheek. So light and feminine.

"I'm so proud of you Ellie over these last few weeks you've transformed into the girl I always knew you could become. All it took was a bit of encouraging and you did the rest on your own. Even though I'm not your mom you will always be welcomed here with opened arms." She said and meant every word.

I couldn't stop the tears from flowing no matter how hard I tried. It meant a lot hearing those words from the person I wanted nothing more to hear it from. I grabbed her and hugged her tight and she did the same. When we pulled away I jumped on Uncle David taking him by surprise as his heavy chuckles rumbled on my chest.

Taehyung watched with glistening eyes, looking away because this scene was so emotional. It must be hard for him because of the fact he always yearned for this type of attention growing up and never receive it. He was neglected of the fundamentals that a child was supposed to have and even though he knew this he couldn't help feeling jealous.

Maybe because he will never truly get what I have at this moment. And even though I don't wanna pity him I can't help but to.

Aunt Melissa turned to Taehyung and puffed her chest out with a coy smirk. He stands there intimidated pressing his tongue into his cheek before she reels him into her tight hugs. His cheeks flush pink and he giggles enthusiastically at the fact he didn't expect this.

When coming home the day after our first date, it didn't take much for her to put two and two together. Eventually, I did tell her everything and the history between us which gave us something to talk about over tea and cookies. I don't know why I hadn't told her in the first place but Aunt Melissa gave her god-worthy advice which put some perspective into our thinking.