Feralbeats (Backstory)

In a help or be helped world, you'd think things would be alright. Usually they would be, but when Gaster's boy, of all monsters, went feral, things got harder. The day I went feral, I knew.. I could not be helped. It took years to get me sane again. Once my dad gave me the chains to look the part of a normal monster, I'd been eager to join society again. Papyrus and dad had been eager to help me get back into society again! But.. the other monsters.. weren't so eager.. the damage was already done. I was avoided. Feared by my people. I became reserved. I curled in on myself, not to keep myself from the threats of the world, but to keep the world from the threat that was me.

🎵🎵🎵

"You ready to go Sans?" Gaster asked his 6 year old son. Today they were going to meet Prince Asriel and the adopted human, Chara. The boy came running, tail a blur as he rushed to his father. "new friends! new friends!" Sans was a very energetic child. It made his father laugh. "Let us go meet them, shall we?" Sans took Gaster's hand, curling his phalanges through the hole in Gaster's hand as they stepped out. Music filled the air as monsters greeted him. Gaster was very popular and very well respected. When his boys were born, the bar was set immediately. They had high expectations for Sans and Papyrus, not that they were aware of it yet.

🎵🎵🎵

"Sans, meet King Asgore, Queen Toriel, Prince Asriel, and Chara." (What do you call a royal child that uses they/them anyway?) "hi! i'm sans! it's so nice to meet you!" He greeted cheerily. "Why don't you children go play? Get acquainted."
"Come on Sans! I know this amazing spot..." Their voice trailed off as the three ran off. "Is Papyrus as energetic as he is?" Gaster laughed. "Even more so." His tail swayed happily. "I'm proud of them both. I know they are going to be great gentlemen. They have full lives to live for sure."
"Well, seeing Sans, he does have potential." Then there was a scream. The adults bolted to find who got hurt. Chara came running, tears streaming down their face and arm bleeding. "S-SANS! HE'S GOING CRAZY! HE'S HURTING AZZY!" Toriel was left to tend the human, while Gaster and Asgore went ahead to part Sans from a severely wounded Asriel. He immediately tried to turn on Asgore. Gaster caught him. "Sans! What is-" Gaster saw them. Feral eyes. Light purple feral slits. "GET THAT THING OUT OF HERE!" Asgore bellowed.

🎵🎵🎵

The Prince and Chara both died that day. Asriel, of his wounds. Chara of the bite. It didn't take long for news to spread. It wasn't Sans fault though, Gaster knew it wasn't. Sans still wasn't normal and he was trying to find out why. Eventually he found an old tome that held the answer to his problems. It was a magic imbalance. If Gaster could just fix that.. Sans could redeem himself. He had to. For Sans sake.

🎵🎵🎵

Years of testing and experimentation went by, mostly with determination. Some days he truly seemed to be making progress, others he seemed to regress. As of now, Sans was under anesthesia from another determination injection. Papyrus came in with a plate of carbonara for Gaster. "You must eat, father.."
"I know, Papyrus, thank you." He took the plate from his youngest's hands. While they had their little exchange, Sans nasalbone twitched. The anesthesia was wearing off and he was hungry. The scent of food helped alot as he came into awareness. "dad..? papyrus..? h-how long has it been?" Both skeletons whipped around to the eldest. "B-BROTHER?"
"Sans?"
"i.. did a bad thing.. didn't i?"

🎵🎵🎵

"These will help you look the part of a normal monster." Gaster locked cuffs on him. "i'm looking forward to seeing others again." Gaster smiled, grateful that Sans was ready to make up for his mistakes. Mistakes he never wanted to make in the first point. "YES! I'M SURE THEY WILL BE MOST EXCITED TO SEE YOU BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!"
They left the lab and returned home to Snowdin. "hi!" Sans greeted a monster who froze and turned the other way. He was confused. "that was.. weird.." Things continued that way. He tried to be friendly, but got rejected. Gaster and Papyrus exchanged nervous glances. This wasn't going as they'd hoped. But Sans HAD killed the royal children. They should have known better.

🎵🎵🎵

He still continued to try for three more years before someone got fed up with it. "Dirty traitor! You think you can be one of us after what you've done?!" Sans stepped back, tucking his tail. The monster was right though.. he was a threat. He'd killed the royal children. Who else would he kill? His father? Papyrus? There was no point.