Chapter 5: Awaken

This chapter is Revenant PoV

Since they started, i've counted thirty-two nightmares and eighteen regain of awarness. I have no idea how much time those numbers represent but it was too long in my opinion.

I'm starting to get use to the different phases of my artificial coma. I've been able to spot when i will regain consciousness before it actually happen. When I'm deep in the abyss, i hear nothing, but i also feel nothing. When i emerge from it, i hear their voices muffled by the last layer of anesthetics. But more importantly, i start feeling their touch and a bit of pain.

It begins with a light tingling in my head, then it goes down in my torso. I feel like i'm floating in thin air and i start to hear some distant noises. Then, the noises get closer and closer and become voices.
When the voices become clearer to my ears, I'm able to slowly capture the touches and the pains my torned carcass is affected by.

But it never last long since they always zap me back to the void at this state of sensitivity.

But now is different.

I can feel more and more my surroundings. My corpse, the crinkly tarpaulin under me or their hands disconnecting the patchs off my head.

Even more disturbing, i can hear my own breath and i'm starting to see lights and shapes dancing from my left optic.

They are finally waking me up.

They remain silent during the whole process, looking at me and following my optic movements.

My eye is fully functional now and the dancing shadows become three masked skinbags encircling the bed i am layed on.

At the end of the bed, there is a tall man tidying up the tools while giving brief glances at me.
On my left and right are two girls, one looking at me directly in the eye and the other examining one last time my throat.

I know for sure the man his their dad that picked us at my appartement, but i won't be able to tell which girl found me there and which is the doctor.

After a moment, the girl on my left spoke:

"Welcome back, Revenant. I'm (Y/n). Remmember? I'm the one that found you in that old building. And here's Myriam, my sister and the one that did most of the operation. And there is my father Roy who helped us along."

Now i can put a name on their faces and i already spot something weird. They DON'T look alike. They all have such different facial features, they CAN'T share the same genetics.

I will keep this incoherence somewhere in a corner on my mind for later. I have more important questions than family genealogy to deal with first.

I haven't gave her any answer. She continues speaking:

"We would like to see if everything is working with your voice and eye. Can you talk a bit and tell us how you feel and how is your vision right now?"

I am hesitating for a moment.

Should i try to holp up my anger in order to get some answers or should i just start a tantrum and hope they will just kill me out of rage?

The tantrum is quite tempting but i will wait a bit more for this and just play by their rules for now.

"I see as good as a one-eyed person. Are you happy about it?"

I'm actually surprised how good they worked on me. Never heard my voice being that suave and smooth, even after respawning in a fresh new body.

The skinsuit doc' now enters the discussion:

"Very happy. It means our methodology worked well. To be honnest, we've never met a simulacrum like you before. You share a lot of characteristics with other sim individual but you also have so much unique presets and features. You will get the other eye fixed once we recieved the one we ordered for you. How does your voicebox feel? Do you have any incovenience to report to us?"

"Everything is fine doc'. What's next?"

I lied. My gorge is still painful from the operation. But i don't want them to touch me anymore. This level of pain is nothing unusual for me.

"Good. Tell us if you have any issue or pain OK? We will replace your right eye while working on your damaged spine in two days. Meanwhile, I will give your limbs to my employees, so they can fix them and we will attach them back on you at the end.
For now, you will get some rest here until we meet again. Do not worry, my sister will stay with you since you are in her house. She will be there at any moment if you need it. "

They want me to wait two days with that stupid girl that thinks she saved me. What a pain.

She is giving me a last stare and turn back to her sibling:

"(y/n) can I talk to you before I go?"

She just nod and they leave the room all together. I can't hear much but some words made it out through the door.

"the games", "sadistic", "dangerous"...

Something tells me that miss Docdoc knows a bit more on the apex game than my savior. Is she warning her about me?
I hope so, it will be easier for me to act later on.

The door open again and only the oblivious skinsuit enter. A naive smile adorn her stupid face.

Urgh...

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Sorry, I know you may want to stay alone for a bit. Myriam left the anesthetic tool, just in case you want to blacko..."

"No! That thing bother me even more than pain. Don't you dare putting those patches on my face once again!"

"I'm... Sorry. It's OK, I will not use it anymore. I don't want you to feel in pain but I don't want to make you feel bad either."

She put the engine in a drawer and stays here in silent, looking at me. She is waiting for something.
I try to remain calm when talking to her:

"Do you need anything? Why are you standing here now?"

"Can I ask you a question?"

I just stare at her in response. I don't think i will answer it but I'm curious to know what's in her mind.

"I know your Legend name is Revenant. But can I know... Your real name?"

Why does she want to know that? She doesn't need it. I don't even need it myself... Anymore.

"No."

I can see that she is a bit disappointed but she keeps her soft smile.
"Oh. OK then. Sorry if my curiosity bothered you."

She put something on the table next to me.
"If you need anything, just talk a bit louder. I will hear you from the talkie-walkie here."

She waves at me before heading to the other room.
"Rest well, my friend."

...

...

Two days like this.

And it's just the beginning.

...

...

Fuck this.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Ahoy friendly reader!

I'm back from holidays and I'm ready to write more chapters.

The next one will be up around October 1st.

Revenant is finally talking and he won't make it easy.

See you around and take care of you!