Chapter 9: Surprise me everyday

This chapter is Reader PoV

I can't believe what i'm witnessing right now. I'm actually questionning if i did woke up or if I'm still in my bed, dreaming weird things.

Suki is sleeping on the simulacrum's stomach and Jabi is licking his face...

And he is NOT complaining about it !

No scream or grumble like 'Hey, skinbag, get your pests outta here or i'm making myself a coat with their furr'. Not even wiggling to make the cat fall or to bump the dog's muzzle away.

Just when I'm starting to consider that he might be asleep or unconscious, he softly turns his head in my direction and speaks:

"How bad of a pet owner you must be for them to try to get attention from me."

His tone was smooth but still a bit sarcastic. However, I don't feel any rancor or agressivity in his whole behaviour. The man is just joking with me... and so do I.

" How nice of you to offert them the love I'm apparently no able to give! You're such a sweetheart."

I'm quietly laughing at this bantering before staring at him again, keeping a mild smile on my face.

Let's try to preserve that mood for today.

"OK guys, time to let our guest some space to breath. I'll feed you a bit later."

I give gestural order at Jabi to make her leave the room and grab Suki, who is slowly emerging from his nap, from Revenant's core and put him in the corridor.

I next come closer to him and visually check if my pets did any damages on his body.

" Sorry for the disturbance. They are quite curious and they wanted to meet you for a while. I guess the cat managed to open the door during the night. How do you feel today?"

He hums and rolls his eyes. Being in a good mood isn't enough to forget how unpleasant it is to be paralyzed.

"I know, this is a very uncomfortable state for you but I hope our efforts make you feel a bit better."

"You and your family can make me happier with less efforts if you just kill me instead."

"And you already know the answer. We can't do that. We don't kill and I don't think ending your life will help you, even if..."

He cuts me right away:

"Listen girlie. You have no idea how painful my life is. I can't even call this 'a life'. You don't know me and just learnt that I'm a legend from the Apex games. I will give you a bit more background here.

I. Am. Immortal..."

He pauses his speech for a second. Saying this out and loud seems to shake his soul way harder than mine.

His voice is now a little more soother:

" That's why they punished me by dismembering and pining me on the floor. You kill my body, I just respawn in new one. That's why they made sure I won't be able to kill myself by paralyzing me. They know I'm used to pain and death..."

He will sink in the darkest spots of his mind if I'm not stopping him.

My turn to cut him off.

" You've always used suicide to solve your problems because you had no other options. But today isn't like other days. Today, you have people ready to help you and find a way to make things better without getting yourself into despair and torment. We are offering you a try to get healed in a calm and healthy place. I know I'm not aware of your whole life and we might be mistaken. But you don't know us neither. Just please, let us try to give you another chance. "

Once my mouth shut, the room becomes oddly silent. I could have offended him in many ways with my words and he could have turn mad in any second.

But nothing comes.

He is just staring at me without anything to say. And I can't catch if this is a good sign or not. I just hope he is neither mad or hurt with what I said.

After another minute, I walk away to the corridor.

"I..."

I want to say that I'm very sorry for him. I want to say that I'm sincere when I say we want to help him. I just want to tell 'stay strong and believe in us'. But I'm to scared to make more damages... I've already tell a lot.

"I have chores to do and pets to feed. I will come back to you in two hours, maybe three. Please, consider what I said."

I'm about to close the door when he asked me to let it open. He didn't tell me why but I won't ask.

I leave him with a shy smile and start my routine by taking the dog for a small walk.

Once in the parc, I decide to check my phone and realise that I have four missed call from dad and two messages from Myriam.

I call back pap's to know what was the emergency. But he was just anxious and wanted to check if I was still alive and at home. He had done this for every three of us at six in the morning. Every times we have to deal with the Harvesters, it's the same thing. I can't blame him. This gang could mess with us very bad if we make any mistakes.

I take some minutes to reassure him and made him laugh with the pets on the simulacrum story. I avoid to tell about the conversation I had with Revenant just after.

Once finished, I read Myriam texts while heading back to my apartment.

She talked to Sid during the night. He confirmed that the Harvesters have no clues about our identity neither our location.

I let a relief sigh escape from my mouth before gasping to the second message :

'But they are actively searching who we are and what we are doing with their victim. They are not happy about it.'

This ain't good for us.

We are secure for the moment but we will need to be extra careful from now on.

Neither Sid or her told the truth to pap's. They will do it if anything bad happens.

For now, Sid is making sure that they won't find anything about us and lead them to wrong tracks.

I will not tell anything to Revenant yet. Giving him such bad news will just make one more point in his suicide argument. And i would like him to keep calm for a bit, he had enough stress lately.

I'm taking some deep breath before entering back to my flat. He has sharp earing and he is good at guessing things. I don't want him to feel my anxiety.

Deep breath and stretch.... Deep breath and stretch... Deep bre...

Jabi just pushed herself on my leg to give a hug. I pat her with a smile. Animals are great for mental support, i can't denie that. Might be the reason why Revenant didn't chased them... he needed that.

I open the door, release Jabi's leash and start my routine. In the same time, i'm trying to get myself in a positive mindset for when i will check on him.

I really hope he will change his mind.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Hello everyone!

It's been a while, isn't it? :)

Life gets me busy busy busy...

But I'm so happy to take some time to write down a new chapter.
Even if we are still getting deeper and deeper in Revenant's soul and depression, I like to light it up with some cute and funny moments.
I had this pet idea for a while (Suki and Jabi were in my notes since the beginning like the rest of the family) and I really wanted to make them interact with our murderbot.

Nothing in apex lore told us if Revenant likes pets or not afterall ;)

I know things are going slow but I like to take my time developing personalities, relationships and backgrounds.

Anyway! Happy new year everyone (don't tell me it's too late! We are still in January OK.) wish you health, fortune, happiness and love.

See you around for the next chapter!

Love you all my friendly readers!