Chapter 20 : The Blue Fox

This chapter is Reader PoV

Since I've visited him at the motel, Revenant and I see each other almost daily. I give him the 'gossip' about Loba and the Harvesters and then we pass several hours just chilling together.
We always find something to say or to do and found a lot of common interests. Apparently, he likes many of my books and movies and I like to ask him about ones that existed back in his time.

But today will be mainly about gossip and I will have to hold him up once he hears what I'm about to say :

"I've got lots of good news and a kindda bad one."

He stops wandering in my bookcase and looks straight at me, inviting to say more.

" The Harvesters couldn't find us and took a break into their hunt. The only ones that are still pursuing us are Loba and her friends."

" Good. At some point, she'll be alone."

" Well, not exactly. Soan was dispatched by the Harvesters and he won't stop working until they call him back. Kairi Imahara is her actual lover and she is too supportive to give up on her. And the good new seems to be a very good friend of hers."

"The 'good new'?"

I give a little wink:

" That is the best part. Remember she has a hacker friend, right?"

" Yes, I was searching for him and almost succeed before they disabled me."

"Happen that dude is known by my brother."

He rises his head promptly and his optics narrow in shock. Now is when I have to hold him back.

" Please, don't do anything after getting all the information. Remember, there is a bad new too."

He clings to the sofa, trying to restrain himself from getting up and going on a chase.

" After some research, my bro realized that her hacker was named 'Blue Fox' in the deep web. He told me he worked with him twice."

"So he knows his identity?"

" Hackers never share their ID or location. Sid never met him but he told me that they had to put a backdoor on each other computer for some reason because... I'll be honest, he explained it to me but I'm more of a mech than a hacker."

"You can tell that you suck at programming."

Ouch.

"I suck when it comes to hacking. I can program a bot and mostly do a video game."

" But you couldn't get why your brother had the terrible idea to accept a backdoor on his machine."

" He told me and it sounded like a reasonable idea! I just can't remember! Would you let me finish?"

"Go on. But you still suck..."

I throw a pillow at his face which induced a muffled laugh from him.

"So... what I was trying to say is, because he had a backdoor, he checked on it and it still works. He is now retrieving all the data about him so we know who Blue Fox is, where he lives, and so on. He should text me in less than twenty minutes."

Revenant jumps off the sofa:

" And I will go to his place to torture him!"

I gently press on his shoulders to sit him back.

" No. That's way too risky. The bad new is, he will know that someone stole his data. He won't know WHO exactly but he will expect us to be involved and that's why you can't do that. They will wait for you."

" So what? We sit on that and let this opportunity fly away?"

"I said they will wait for you but they won't expect my dad and his friends. They'll get him to us."

" I see. Clever. And then I'll torture him."

I grab his non-existing cheeks and softly shake his head:

" NO. I know they tormented you and you have a grudge against them but it's not doing good to you. You're smarter than that, I know it. Don't let impulsiveness guide you and please, stay safe. "

He doesn't say a word after that. His eyes seem to be lost in mines as my hands let go of his face.

" Just stay safe and use that time to relax. From all those stories you told me, I'm sure that you never got any time to rest. That's your opportunity to take care of yourself and not be anxious about your condition or outside threat."

I sit beside him and after a long and silent minute, he gently pats my head and talks :

" Thanks for waking me up. You're right... I'm being too impatient. I guess having my brain in another solar system doesn't help. "

He gets up again and goes back to my bookcase, searching for another horror story to borrow. He freezes at one titled 'The sorrow of Caleb Stanler'.

" Hey, girl. I've never told you my name, right? "

It's my turn to freeze. Is he about to tell me his name? Is he, finally, trusting me enough to share what still makes him human?

" Caleb. My name is Caleb Cross."

I stand up and face him with a large smile, trying not to sob from the burst of emotions.

" I'm very, very happy that I've met you, Caleb."

We both stay silent for a few seconds before he turns back to the bookcase, grabs the book that shares his name, and tells me:

" I'm going to take this one. Curious to see what this Caleb goes through."

" But it's not in the horror genre. It is a tragedy."

" It suits me too. My life is a tragedy after all."

" Am I a tragedy in your life too?"

He hits my forehead with the book :

" You're tragically stupid. I don't even want to answer this. "

He stayed home for two more hours. We got some news from Sid and my father is already planning the kidnapping with the boys. Just a matter of days before we catch that Blue Fox and make him talk about Loba, her plans, and her weaknesses.

Step two leads her to do a mistake and get the Harvesters against her.

We are going to get your nemesis out of the way for real Caleb, I promise.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Hello, my dear reader!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Wish you health, fortune, serenity, and happiness for 2023.

Sorry if I'm being super slow to write lately. We've got through a lot with the baby, all the family reunions, and personal issues. You might notice that my writing quality is a bit... Lower than usual. My apologies for that. I'm so tired, wording is hard. Yes, I said 'wording', what are you gonna do?

Anyway, I hope I'll be able to write the next chapter before March (while also releasing a chapter for Hybrid).

Stay joyful and optimistic!

See ya <3