Chapter 10: Someone Who Cares...

This chapter is Revenant PoV.

I've spent some time thinking of what she said. Most importantly, I tried to figure out... Why?

Why being so benevolent toward a killing machine that can't do good to anyone?
Why trying to 'give a seconde chance'?

And why can't I even be mad at her for being so stubborn?

Is she right about me? Am I already tired of dying again and again?

...

How ironic for someone who's greatest dream is to never wake up again.

Let's be honest here, being healed up and feeling someone caring like this... It feels strange... And pleasant.

But I can't accept that offer.

I'm concerned of being found back by the Harvesters and Loba in this vulnerable state.

If they come, I'll never be able to escape another paralysis fate...
And I won't be lucky enough to meet another wandering simulacrum wrenchgirl where I'll be left.

And she won't be able to protect herself either...

...

...

...

Like I care...

I just want to avoid being captured again. That's it. And she is my only chance to get away from it.

But she will NEVER end me. Whatever I say or do.

I thought about moving on purpose while she is manipulating me but she is to tideous and she'll strap me on the bed before I can deal any damages to myself.

The only option left is to wait for my limbs and hope I could do something with that.

But how much time do I have to wait for? I'm not even sure how much had passed since she rescued me.

Maybe a week...

I will play by her rules until I find a real opportunity.

She is definitely not buying the rude attitude and trying to convince her didn't work either. So, I'll wait.

------------------------------

She comes back as promise after a couple hours with an oil flask, some tissues and her regular naive smile.

She is a bit less talkative than usual.

I wonder why?

She only speaks to explain what she is doing on me or to ask if anything hurts. But never she mentions our little argument from earlier. Neither if I've made a choice or not.

Once she is done with oiling and testing my spine mobility, I decide to break the silence.

"Why do you care?"

She freezes for few seconds. Then ignores my question by changing of topic:

"My sister told me that your limbs are fixed. She will bring them tommorow. But since your model is... Unknown... They might have issues or arrangement to do once linked to you. We're also not sure if the connexions will work properly or if there is more work to do on it. "