Chapter 24: Running away

This chapter is Revenant PoV

I just got a message from her. She wants to go to town with me again as if our little outing of yesterday wasn't enough.

I can't say no. I don't want to say no.

I agree to go for a walk, asking where she'd like to go this time. She responds quickly, saying that she wanted to visit that Christmas market on that big esplanade in the shopping district. She will be here in an hour.

It is three in the afternoon.

I've passed the last four hours, laying on my bed and being deeply confused about everything.

Confused about my desire to punish Loba.

Confused about my wish to die.

Confused about her and what she could think about me.

Confused about what I feel about this whole situation.

Confused about what I feel for her.

When she told me, months ago, that I still had a human heart and she could make it work again, I didn't believe her. I found her so naive and delusional. Appears that I was the naive one. Since I became aware of my robotic transformation, I was so busy tracking down whoever did this to me... I never tried to just sit and examine what was left of the old me. I always thought I completely turned into a bot that, somehow, became sentient. I, now, believe that all my anger and desperation came from the human I used to be.

The human I still am.

I take another look at the clock. Ten minutes had passed. I should get ready before she arrives and put on my suit.

I get up from bed and start pulling on my shirt and pant.

From all this introspection I've done, two questions are stuck in my mind:

First, there are more gaps and incoherences in my memories than I thought. Way more than the data corruption could have done over the years. I need to ask her if she has any idea of what could cause such trouble to rewind souvenirs, especially the ones before I became a simulacra.

Secondly, why did Hammond made me able to feel so many things? I thought I could only feel pain as a punishment for my past life. But since I've met the girl, I've felt so many various things. I even discovered that my fake body can mimic reactions to stimuli, like increasing the heat when... when...

As I recall the moment, the heat strikes up and the fans turn on.

Did I fall for her?

I shake my head swiftly and resume putting my clothes on. I'll reflect on that later, I already got too many questions to handle. I should clear my mind so I can get some quality time with her instead of being moody and gloomy as usual.

¤         ¤         ¤

She finally arrives at the motel, dressed in a simple black dress with a tulle over the skirt and thin silver stripes running down her torso, a black ribbon marking the juncture of the upper part and the lower one. Basic dark tights and mary jane on her feet, a thick deep grey shawl on her shoulder, and some silver jewelry here and there.

And her usual smile.

We don't need to walk for so long to get to the market and as soon as we put a foot into it, I remember why I hate those types of events. It's noisy, crowded, and the different scents that should smell good alone, mix together in a horrible sweet and spicy fog.

My friend must have noticed my discomfort as she softly grabs my hand and asks:

"If you want to do something else, just tell me."