Chapter 8: The Haversters

This chapter is Reader PoV

I just plug back the last vertebrae wire when my brother arrives.

I stand still to hear if they need me but all I catch is that they are already working together on the parasite.

I relax a bit knowing the threat is now handled by him and get back to my patient.

The operation got quickly executed but it became a huge mess.

Revenant is oddly silent and i realise that i got more affected by his suffering than i thought.  My heart beats hard, my throat is tight and my eyes burn like fire would come out of them. I've always been pretty emotional and empathic but my mental health got very low with my workaholic habits and i'm now very sensitive.

I try to restrain myself and not bother him with my emotions:

" Hey, Revenant. How are you feeling right now?"

He just grunts at me.

It didn't even sounded like a grunt but more like a tired sigh expressed by a cracked voice.

Seeing how broken he is makes me feel even worse and i need to take a deep breath to not break down. I still need to engage the vertebras back together and i could hurt him if i'm not focused.

I give him a soft pat on the shoulder while I say:

" I've finished fixing all the wires and I ckecked the rest of you back. Everything is good and you should be able to move again once your spine is locked in place. But... "

" But I will be painful. I know. Just do what you need to do, so we don't talk about it again."

I pat him again and let my hand slides on his back to the lowest part of his spine.

" I will start from the bottom and go up to your neck."

I grab the two sides of the vertebrae and :

" Ready? Inspire deeply... Lock it.. And... "

Clack!

He groans loudly. I grab the next one and repeat the process.

Again.

And again.

Three minutes later, the last vertebrae is tucked between my fingers:

" Last one my friend. This one will be the strongest since it links all your body to your brain. Inspire deeply... Lock it..."

The clack is followed by a static noise confirming that all the connexion are coming back to normal. The sim muffles a scream:

" Fuck this! She will pay for that one!"

" I'm sorry Revenant but no need to threaten me. "

" Not you, stupid skinbag! The thief will pay!"

The... Thief ?

" Who is that thief?"

" The one that did all of this to me."