Chapter 26: Negociations

This chapter will share Loba's and Jamie's PoV

The guards escort me toward the exit, where Kairi was waiting for me during the whole meeting. She greets me with a comforting hug:

"How was it? Did you get in trouble?"

"I get away with a warning this time. Being a popular legend is helpful in those conditions."

"Be glad you didn't hurt anyone that day! Popular or not, you would have been dragged to court in you'd killed an innocent."

"Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. Let's go to that fancy restaurant again and enjoy me not getting sued with a good meal."

I do my best to keep up the appearances and give her a charming smile as we walk out from the Syndicates building.
I'm not worried about the Apex's CEO scolding me about this little incident. As I said, they just warned me to not do it again and let me go.

What is worrying me is the message Soan sent me:

Greetings Loba.
I've heard about your recent 'behavior' after you met our target. The Harvesters will protect you if you get sued or threatened. In exchange, you will have to give us all the details of this event to help with the hunt.
Best regards.
Soan.

Since I was about to get to the CEO's office and simply answered that I was busy and I'll give him all information later, to which he replied:

Careful, friend. Don't forget we always watch you. It would be a sad duty for me to punish you if you try to betray us.

It's not the first time the Harvesters spit their menaces like this and I'm deeply regretting calling for their help in the first place. But now, I'm stuck with them and the fear of not doing enough in their opinion.
I look at Valk, walking next to me, oblivious to the threat ready to strike us down. I know they will use her against me if they're not satisfied and thinking of it makes me feel sick.
But I can't show her how anxious I am and that's why I'm always smiling around her.
That's why I'll eat my meal with an appetite, even when feeling queasy.
That's why I avoid responding to Soan in front of her and turned off my phone sounds.

As we are ordering our food, I feel my cellular vibrates in my pocket. I do a quick check and restrain a gasp. On the screen, Jamie's number is displayed.

"Lo', are you ok? You are so pale right now."

"Uh... yeah. I felt kinda bad during the flight but I thought it would be gone once landed. I'm going to the toilets if you don't mind."

She nods, giving me a last worried stare while I rush to the bathrooms. Thankfully, the room is empty and I can take that call in peace.

"Jamie... Is that you?"

My voice is hesitant, I really want to hear him but I'm also prepared to face whoever kidnapped him.

"Loba, I'm so sorry."

Thank god, it's him.

"Jamie, where are you? Did you escape?"

He is taking a deep breath... I don't like it.

"I'm with them at the moment. They ain't bad people, trust me."