Chapter 7: Down My Spine

CW: strong pain and operation description:

This chapter is Revenant PoV

The little family is once more reunited and they are discussing in the living room. Again, the door is blocking most of the chit-chat but some words pass throught.

I hear them checking about (y/n) health and asking her if i was annoying. She answers something like "i'm alright, he was just a bit angry at the current situation".

Cute. She keeps it on with that naive and cheesy attitude.

At least, i know her better and i expect her family to act likewise. Our last conversation showed me that she is quite stubborn and me mocking, insulting and screaming won't change anything.

Whatever I do or say, they won't kill me. I will have to be patient and wait for them to repair me enough so I can get away and do my things.

The door opens and so do the doctor's mouth:

" Hello Mr. Revenant. How are you feeling today?"

I just give a quiet grunt in response. Casual conversations aren't my cup of tea.

" My sister told me you had an incident with your eye. We are very sorry about it. How is it now? Anything to report?"

" Nothing doc. I just want my back to be fixed."

" I understand. Before we start, I would like to warn you about some... Inconvenients..."

" If you're talking about the straps, your sibling already told me why you have to use them. No big deal I guess. "

" Well, there is that. But also, since we don't know yet how damaged your spine is and how hard it will be to heal it, we can't tell how long and how painful the operation will be. It can last for hours or just some minutes."

" I'll do with it. What else?"

" Happy to see you're cooperating with us. We will also repair your right eye afterward."

They keep it quiet whereas they are installing me on an other bed. It's more of an operation table than a bed, with a hole to put your head in.
I'm resting on my chest with my face buried in the cushion slot. They strap me to keep my head, shoulders and hip still.

The girl approaches me while her father and sister are preparing the tools:

" Hey Revenant. I'm just checking if you're well installed and ready for the operation."

I hum gently. I can't see her since she is standing on my right.

" We'll respect your choice about the anesthetic but we want you to know that we keep it close in case you change your mind."

" You won't need it."

" I'm ok with that as long as your don't turn crazy due to the pain. We'll try to  tell you as much as possible about what happens in your body and what we are doing. We'll also try to warn you if we need to do something that will generate a high level of pain, so you can prepare mentally. "

" How sweet of you... Uh!"

" That's all I needed to say. If you don't have anything to ask, we'll start. "

I just remain silent, so she stands up and grabs some tools.

The doctor speaks again:

" We will start by visually checking the whole spine. Then, we will dislocate every vertebra and open the core to get a closer look on the inside. Finally, we will repair anything that need it."