Chapter 25 : Cohabitation

This chapter is Reader PoV

"Everything should be good now. If you need anything, call us or ask Wallace. And please, for the love of God, don't try to get out."

Dad kisses me goodbye and leaves the room with Sid on his side. Once the door's closed, I begin to unpack my stuff and make sure to find a proper place for everything, starting with my books. Meanwhile, Caleb is sitting on the bed, watching me being a maniac as I try to organize my books in a very specific order. He must be frustrated to get locked down again but he is not being too noisy about it. I wonder what he is thinking right now.

Once done with the library, I take a minute to observe the room. After all, I'll have to stay in there for a bit, better to know what I should expect from it from the beginning.

As expected, the room is far from a luxury suite in a popular hotel, especially since it's supposed to be a secret room meant for hiding more than living. Half of the floor is filled by the bed; a very expensive king-size bed. We won't have much space to move on but at least, we will sleep like babies. On the right, a wardrobe,  and on the left, the library I just completed. At the front of the bed are disposed a very small kitchenette composed of a tiny fridge, a sink, and a portable stove with only one plate to cook on. A built-in table sticks out of the wall, giving space for two people to sit with foldable chairs. A modest TV screen hangs off the wall, above the table, next to the air conditioner. Next to the kitchen, a door leads to a cramped bathroom where lays a simple toilet and a shower with a little storage above the WC. There is a cabinet under the stove, leaving space for more storage, and finally a little bow next to the library.

I go back to my luggage and get my clothes inside the wardrobe. As expected, Caleb doesn't have anything else than his habitual scarf and loincloth and his newly acquired suit. I'll have to make more clothes for him!

It takes me about twenty minutes to get everything in order, close my luggage and sit.

Now what?

He hasn't said anything yet and I'm starting to feel uncomfortable due to his odd silence. I can't even look at him. Why does it feel so weird to be in this situation when, months ago, he was living under my roof for weeks? We know each other now and started to build an authentic and trustful relationship.

I turn my head to check on him and meet his glare, forbidding me to watch elsewhere. I can't stand the silence anymore and try to start a conversation:

"It's weird, isn't it? Getting stuck together once again? I promise I won't flood you with my terrible puns."

The man scoffs quietly:

"Don't mind this. I got used to them. Kindda like them now."

I could have answered with a joke but didn't feel like breaking this mood. I thought he would be grumpy, but he is posture and behavior tells how relaxed he is. From when I met him to now, he isn't the same. And I like him even more than before.

His eyes are now tainted with melancholy as his voice raises:

"Hey, girl. Sorry... for putting you in trouble. Since I've met you, I was only able to get you in danger."

"What do you mean?! You saved me from getting shot earlier, remember? You've got three bullets for the sake of protecting my life."

"But if I hadn't been in your life, you would never have to live this."

"And leaving you alone and forgotten in your apartment? If I had to choose again, I would pick you up and heal your ass once more."

"...Thank you."