Chapter 1 - Taken

Courtney's POV

The night was dark and quiet as I walked home, the streets practically empty. I knew I would end up being out late tonight. I don't know why I even try to plan on getting home early anymore. Being twenty-one, it was fun to go out with the girls and have fun. I just had a tendency to lose track of time.

I looked around the streets, arms wrapped around me as the night air began to cool. I silently scolded myself for not grabbing a jacket on my way out this time. Getting my mind off the cooling air, I thought back to the questions I had been attacked with by the girls. They all pretty much revolved around me and my boyfriend, Daniel.

With his height of 5'9", dark brown hair, and gentle brown eyes, he was quite the looker. He wasn't built, but he also wasn't scrawny. He was kind of just in between. Most of the girls always made sure I knew how jealous they were that I ended up with him, while others exclaimed how they would have never guessed he would turn out to look so good after high school. I couldn't help but laugh at that even now.

Remembering now that I had received a text earlier, I took out my phone from my back pocket and slid my thumb across the screen. I had a guess that it was Daniel. The background picture I had set was of me and him when he last came home. He was often away on business trips, leaving me here alone. I don't really mind since I don't care much to travel and I have the girls to hang out with, but it was always nice to have him home again.

Opening the text, I wasn't surprised that my guess was right. My smile brightened when I read what it said.

Good night, baby. Love you. I'll be home soon, probably in a week or so.

I was already mentally counting down the days till I would be able to see him again. He had already been gone a good two weeks. Alright, so it did bother me to be alone all the time, but I guess that's what I agreed to when I signed up to date a business man.

I locked my phone then slid it back into my pocket, turning my attention back to my surroundings. I have never liked being out late on empty streets. I have heard too many stories of what can happen.

I felt a bit of relief wash through me as I passed under a street light, letting the light surround me while it could. However, the next spot of light I saw wasn't as reassuring. It was from the neon lights of a bar. No matter how much I want to walk under the bright lights, I kept my distance. It wasn't the bar that made me cautious though. It was the men that stood outside it.

Three of them stood huddled together, one leaning against the wall. He had his arms crossed over his chest causing his muscular build to be accented. Though he was a good distance away, I gauged him to stand at least around 6'1". The man to his left stood pretty even with him while the one on his right seemed to be around Daniel's height I guess.

Knowing this, I made sure I kept distance between me and them. I only stood at 5'6" and if they were drunk, and I went near...

I didn't dwell on that thought for long. I kept my head down as I passed, not caring to make eye contact or even glance in that general direction. I didn't even raise my head until I was well past. I just wanted to get home and get some sleep.

However, I had an odd feeling as I sought to find my next source of light.

Hunter's POV

I stood with my arms cross over my chest, leaning against the outside wall of the bar as I talked to my comrades. We were huddled relatively close to make sure there were no eavesdroppers around, keeping our voices hushed. "You seriously can't find any jobs?" I questioned the two, my deep green eyes darting between them. My gaze rested on the taller of the two, Tyler, as he shook his head.