Chapter 30 - Surprise

Courtney's POV

It has been a few days since Katherine came to the house, and things have stayed pretty quiet. Not much has been brought up concerning Katherine, and there has been no news on her showing up around town. It was as if she was trying to keep low key as well. We have all moved on as if nothing had happened. It's nice when you can relax because you know things will be alright, but now I'm not so sure they will be.

I sat on the bathroom floor, my knees to my chest and my head down. This can't be true! There's no way! Something new occurred and I had no idea how it was going to affect me and Hunter, or John and Alex for that matter.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. I didn't want to go out into the room yet. Hunter had tried to get me to come out already, saying he was worried about me. I knew he was, and I hated to worry him like this, but I couldn't let him see me this way. He finally left me alone and went downstairs, and I'm sure John and Alex are down there as well.

I think the best thing to do right now is to just wait until tonight, when John and Alex have left, to tell Hunter about the new development. That will mean that it is just me and him... My heart kept pounding faster and faster until I felt the heat of tears come to my eyes. I was scared, and I had no idea what I was going to do about all this. Not now.

It was hard to believe so many things were playing against me while all I want is to stay here with Hunter. First, it was the threat from Daniel. Not once but twice he had threatened me. Then Hunter's crazy ex shows up at our door and wants back into the life that she left behind, only to find me in "her" place. And now, this new development was making me question whatever future Hunter and I had together. I knew this life would be difficult, but all of this? Why do we have to go through this just because of the love we share? Why does this have to happen because of one choice to stay with someone who truly cares for me instead of going back to a lie?

It took me a little while before I was able to get my nerves and thoughts under control. I was finally able to rise to my feet and open the bathroom door. I could hear the voices of Hunter, John, and Alex all downstairs. I was right. They are here.

I quickly changed into a clean outfit, and combed through my blonde waves. I looked in the mirror and ran my hands over my face, trying to make it look like I wasn't just freaking out on the bathroom floor. I wiped away any traces of the tears I had shed, and breathed deeply until the red left my cheeks. Seeing that I had done the best I could to begin to look normal, I went to the bedroom door and headed towards the stairs.

As I entered the living room, I saw Hunter relaxing on the couch, Alex in a chair examining his shoulder, and John typing away at his computer. Just like any other normal day around here. As I walked over to Hunter, he smiled even though his eyes held deep concern. "Are you alright?" He asked, shifting over so I could sit next to him. I wondered if I still looked like I had been crying.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I answered giving a soft smile. He didn't look convinced as his featured drew in more concern. "I promise I'm alright," I said once again. Now... I didn't dare to say the last part aloud, knowing he would want an answer right away. I couldn't, wouldn't, say anything in front of John and Alex. No, this has to be between me and Hunter first.

He finally nodded, deciding to let the matter drop I guess. "Alright then, are you hungry? I can cook up whatever you'd like for breakfast." I knew I would need to eat something at least or else he would keep asking me if I was alright.

So I simply nodded, even though I really wasn't that hungry. "Some eggs would be fine," I said and he smiled, rising up off the couch. He headed to the kitchen and it was just me, Alex, and John now.