Chapter 41 - Day Two

John's POV

"So tomorrow we meet with Michael..."

Alex let out a soft yawn as he sat in the passenger seat, leaning hard against the door. "Hey, why did you have to get me up so early?" He asked, his words slightly muffled by his hand as he had yet to lower it from his yawn. I simply rolled my eyes.

"Early? Alex, its nearly 10:30 already," I pointed out as I glanced over at him. "You probably would've slept in till noon if I had let you."

"That's the whole point!" Alex stretched his legs as much as he could, trying to get comfortable. "Besides, I have woken up early a dozen times since Courtney has come and I was hoping to have a good rest before we have to meet up with Michael and his horrible minions tomorrow."

I smirked as I turned my gaze fully on the road, shaking my head slightly. "You are such a nineteen year old," I mused.

He was the one that rolled his eyes this time. "I'll be twenty soon. Then you can't accuse me of being a typical teenager anymore." I had to smirk at this. Alex had this annoyance with being called a typical teenager. He always fought back when he was referred to like this, saying that typical teenagers aren't part of gangs. However, I still had so much fun teasing him like this.

"Oh," I said with a nod. "As if being twenty is better than being nineteen." My voice was laced with a teasing tone and Alex glared at me. Alex then began to describe all the things that he could do when he turned twenty and how we should begin to treat him since he was 'older'. The truth was that would never really change. Hunter and I both knew he like the teasing, even if he wouldn't admit it, and he would definitely still be a bit irresponsible.

It was only a matter of time after that when we got to Hunter's street. Alex visibly brightened, confirming just how much he enjoyed being at his brothers. But today, something didn't seem right. As we neared Hunter's house, we both saw that the front door hung open, yet all the lights were off. Alex looked at me with questioning, and I parked the car quickly. We both stepped out, keeping our eyes on the house, but no noise could be heard from inside.

Alex was the first to run for the house, but I saw him stop short at the open door. "John!" He yelled over his shoulder at me, and the stiffness of his body sent concern through me. "It's Hunter!" He disappeared as soon as I started running. When I made it to the door, my eyes immediately caught onto Alex as he bent over an unconscious Hunter.

"Hunter? Hunter?!" Alex was gently shaking his brother's shoulders. "Come on man! Wake up!"

He didn't move. I came up behind Alex, placing a hand on his shoulder as I knelt down beside him. "Look." I nodded towards Hunter's back, seeing it rise and fall slightly. "He is still breathing, therefore still alive." I looked at the now hectic Alex as I tried to get him to calm down a bit. He nodded in response to me, but his eyes never left Hunter.

He didn't look good at all. He lay in an uncomfortable position, the back of his neck was black and blue, and there was a line of dry blood on the side of his cheek and down his neck. The worst of scenarios began to play in my head as I looked at the brunette male, and I feared having to find out what exactly went on here.

That's when there was finally a soft moan that escaped Hunter's slightly opened lips. His forehead furrowed as if he was struggling and his body shifted slightly. "N-no...C-Courtney..." His voice was hoarse and scratchy, but Alex and I both heard clearly what he was saying. Alex shot me a worried filled glance and was up the stairs before I could say anything.

Now I placed both of my hands on Hunter's shoulders. "Hunter? Come on bud. It's John and Alex. Come on, wake up and tell us what happened." He lay still once again, but his breathing was more rigid now, as if he was having a nightmare. I got up and made my way to get the first-aid kit, knowing he would be waking up in pain.