Chapter 4 - The Scar

Hunter's POV

I waited until I heard Courtney's door shut before I made my way to the front door. I didn't want to take the chance of her being around when this went down. Not with this visitor. I drew in a breath as I crossed the living room, my eyes locked on the door. Alright, here we go. Reaching, I grabbed the door knob, opening it to come face to face with a dark haired man. "Ah, Michael, you're early," I said as cheerfully as I could, side stepping to let him in.

"Yes, well, I am very eager to have my shipment." His reply was gruff, in a neutral rough tone. Michael was a customer of mine that often came when he needed a shipment of guns. However, he was also my greatest rival. Standing at even height with me, weighing a little less, he posed an easy threat if he ever decided to be one.

His hair was black and buzzed on both sides, making a short Mohawk. His eyes were icy gray, never showing any emotion except for when he got angry. His muscular build was fairly close to my, though his tan skin was covered in tattoos, especially the two tear drops beside his eye. He also had multiple piercings, some in his eyebrows and others in his ears. Besides his attitude towards women, his appearance would have easily scared Courtney. 

"Your package is in the garage," I said as I motioned for him to follow. As much as I hated to help a rival, I needed the money. He had ordered a special shipment of guns since, lately, his have been failing him. Or so he says. The sooner I get this done and him out of my house, the better.

His voice tore through my thoughts, bringing my attention back to him. "Hold on, Adams. I heard that you picked up a new play thing," he rumbled. Looking over my shoulder, I saw the devilish grin that now appeared on his face.

Of course you did...Word on the streets usually traveled quickly. I was a fool to think that it wouldn't reach Michael. I turned to face him. "Yeah, well, she is being used to bring in some money, nothing else." I emphasized my words at the end, making sure he heard me. I didn't want this man anywhere near Courtney.

Michael began to chuckle darkly. "Sure. The mighty Hunter Adams has a girl alone in his house and she is here just to hold for money." I couldn't blame him really for using that against me. I had quite the history though I wasn't proud of it. "Come on. Just let me meet her."

My back went rigid hearing this. I knew very well from his history what would happen if he made it to Courtney's room. I clenched my fists at my side. "No," I said flatly, "not a chance." I eyed him sharply now.

"Oh lighten up, Hunter!" He said as he looked at me. "I bet she's upstairs in that nice guest room." He began to walk to the stairs. I felt my anger begin to rise as he ignored my subtle warnings. "Am I right?" he asked, smirking.

"Michael, I said no!" I all but yelled at him now but his feet still climbed the stairs. I was starting to get agitated.

"Don't be a kill joy. I bet she's up there right now, possibly in the bathroom getting ready for the day." There was a creak in the floor and I silently cursed it from showing Michael he was right. Now I only had one choice.

Michael climbed another stair but turned around at a clicking sound. Now I had him. He stared down the barrel of my hand gun as I had it aimed at him having taken it from my holster. That clicking sound was of me cocky the gun. "Hunter, what are you doing?" He stood still now, facing me.

"I told you no. Now you can forget the merchandise and get your sorry carcass out of my house," I growled. His expression turned into a glare but I wasn't budging. He may be able to use that look on others to make them back down, but I was tired of his games. I just wanted him gone.

"You can't be-," His voice was cut off but a deafening sound making him flinch as his hands flew up to his head. A bullet hole was now imprinted into the wall, inches from where his head had originally been.