Chapter 45 - One Gun Shot

Courtney's POV

I saw a look of pure confusion on Hunter's face and it made me squirm in my seat. This was worse than seeing Michael's gun so close to me as it hung from his hip. It was worse than Michael's creepy smirk when he thought he had the upper hand. Looking at Hunter and his supposed father, Ryan, I understood why I had seen so many similarities between them.

Ryan wore a smirk now than showed pure entertainment, and Michael smirked as if he was proud of what he had revealed. John let his hands lower his gun a bit, shock crossing his normally serious features as he looked between Hunter and Ryan. Alex looked just plain dumbfounded.

"You...You can't be my father." Hearing Hunter choke out the words made me focus in on only him. "We may look similar but that's as far as the similarities go."

Ryan scoffed and shrugged. "Hunter, we are more alike than you know." The mysterious tone of his voice made me glance over at him, but I didn't like what I saw.

He was looking directly at me. His dark green gaze seemed to be targeting me, and I resisted the urge to squirm beneath the intensity of his gaze. Through the corner of my eye, I saw Hunter now stood rigid, his fists clenched tightly at his sides. When he spoke, his voice held an edge.

"What do you mean?"

Ryan began to laugh as he looked at me, and I wanted to shrink into the shadows behind me. "I know blonde here is hiding something," he said in a dangerously low, and threatening, voice. "She's hiding something that is precious to both of you." My blood turned to ice and I heard Hunter's breathing catch. Ryan nodded, smirking victoriously. "It seems like I'm correct."

He knows I'm pregnant!

Michael looked between Hunter and me, clearly still confused, though you could practically see the wheels turning in his head. I watched as he looked at me, finally coming to terms as to what was going on. "She's pregnant." He murmured his statement before his smirk returned and he spoke louder for Hunter to hear. "So that's why you are so eager to get her back."

Michael turned to face me completely now, his back to Hunter. His lustful gaze from before was now gone as he looked down at me, and it was replaced with pure anger. I had no doubt that he was remembering the close call in my room earlier as he looked at me, his gaze landing on my bigger belly. He now knew that I wasn't just bigger from eating too many sweets.

I saw Hunter shift towards Michael. "Get away from her!" He growled, but stopped short as Ryan positioned himself between Hunter and Michael. My heart began to race and I brought my hands up to my chest protective, as if to block a hit to come. I eyed the gun on Michael's hip and I knew that I was in trouble. Tensions were rising and tempers were ready to explode.

John brought his gun up once more, leveling it with Michael. "Step away from her, Davis," he warned steadily. Michael cast a glance towards Ryan, who answered with just a simple shrug.

"Aw come on guys," Michael said as he turned and stepped to the side. "I was just having a bit of fun." He acted nonchalant as he made his way behind me, which only proved to make me more uneasy. That's when I felt him grab a handful of my hair, and the cool sting of metal press against the side of my head. I squealed as I was nearly pulled off the crate, my eyes shutting tightly.

"I would be careful with that gun of yours, O'Connell," he warned John in a deathly dark voice. "We wouldn't want someone to accidently get hurt." He shook my hair, causing me to jar slightly. "Now would we?"

I held my breath as I heard nothing but silence for a few seconds. Slowly I opened my eyes, tears forming. My heart was racing and my eyes landed on Hunter. He held a ghostly white look; Alex now held a gun and mirrored John as he held it; Ryan acted completely relaxed and at ease as his hands slid into his pockets.