Chapter 28 - The Red and the Blonde

Courtney's POV

My knuckles were white from how hard I was gripping the window's ledge. My eyes were stinging from my unshed tears as the images of what I just saw kept replaying in my mind. He was kissing her! Hunter was kissing another girl! I know what I saw, but I just didn't want to believe it.

I could hear the muffle of voices after I shut the door, but I didn't bother to listen any further. I wasn't really sure what to do when I saw them, and I still don't know. Most women would probably march right back down the stairs and give them both a piece of their minds. However, for some reason, I couldn't do that. I couldn't see myself walking up to Hunter, or any guy for that matter, and just slamming them with questions.

I hit my fist against the wall, shutting my eyes in frustration. I felt a sob rip from my chest and the hot tears finally find their way down my cheeks. I would be able to do it, I would, if I wasn't so afraid of men! Then a thought came to me. Is he unhappy with me because of everything he has been put through for me? Does he not think I'm worth it anymore? I shook my head fiercely. I didn't want to believe that either, but what was I suppose to believe right now?

I heard footsteps, quick and heavy. I immediately knew it was Hunter. A few seconds later, there was a knock at my door and I heard his muffled voice call my name. Shivers ran down my spine, not because I was afraid or worried about what he may do, but because he was saying my name. My name was still on his voice, and the way it sounded in his voice made me feel so special, so safe.

The door opened but I didn't turn around. I just slowly glanced over my shoulder, seeing the worry that filled those dark green eyes. I stayed completely still where I was, waiting for something, anything, to happen. He gently shut the door behind him, staying a distance away from me.

"Are you okay?"

His voice held hesitation as he asked the question, and I just looked towards the window again. How was I supposed to answer that? How could I answer that? Am I supposed to say yes to make it all easier, or no because I feel rejected inside? I just didn't answer, letting him decide whether I was okay or not for himself. I heard his footsteps and they shuffled closer to me. "Courtney, what you saw downstairs wasn't what it looked like," he said and I heard his voice from right behind me.

I shut my eyes, tilting my head further away. The tears fell once more. How could it be anything different? "You kissed her," I murmured after a moment of silence passed. I heard him shift and felt his fingers close around my arm, turning me around to face him. His grip wasn't hard or forceful, but still gentle and easy like always.

"No, she kissed me," he said gently but I kept my gaze down, not wanting to look up at his face. "She kissed me when I was trying to get her to leave, and you walked in the door. It wasn't even a second long and I pushed her away immediately." I could hear the longing in his voice as he tried to get me to believe him. I heard the desperation. I felt one of his hands leave my arms and felt his finger beneath my chin, moving my head up slightly so my gaze rested on him. "Please Courtney. I swear I am telling you the truth. I never wanted to kiss that devil woman."

I move my chin away from his finger and stepped back out of his grip. He let me go and I shook my head, bringing my arms up to hug myself. I felt my back brush against the wall. "Then why is she here?" I heard my voice as it came, shaky and small, and so foreign. "Who is she?"

I saw hurt flash in Hunter's eyes as I made distance between us, and it made me want to forget all this ever happened and run into his embrace. But I had to know what was going on; I had to know who that woman was. He shoved his hands into his pockets and let out a heavy sigh. "That was Katherine," he said softly. "She's the one who is looking for me. She's the girl that took off that night with our money."