Chapter 35 - Lost in Thought

Hunter's POV

I sat at the table in the kitchen, two days after Katherine had shown up at our house. All different papers were spread out in front of me, including bills and job openings. I ran a hand through my hair as I looked at the numbers, knowing I needed to come up with a job soon. The only problem was Katherine and how she had to make things difficult right now.

Courtney was upstairs asleep; feeling a bit exhausted this afternoon. Alex had stopped by this morning along with John, checking up on everything the way he normally does now. John and I had talked about these problems, and he had brought to light what had already been bothering me.

Sooner or later, Courtney is going to get tired of having people around her every second of everyday. Every woman likes to have a bit of alone time to herself, and Courtney was no different. So to somewhat help that problem, I thought of getting Courtney a new cell phone since her old one was smashed by yours truly. The memory of that still brought a red hue to my cheeks as John so clearly pointed out in our discussion.

It was hard to think that the scared blonde that I had so easily picked up randomly one night was now someone that I was very quick to protect. That blonde that was always so tense and scared of my actions was now someone that I couldn't imagine leaving behind anymore. It's still hard to believe that Courtney stayed with me here. I know I don't deserve her, but I hope that I can continue to make her happy with what I can offer.

I heard footsteps and knew that John had returned like he informed me he would. He stepped into the kitchen with a short wave, his sky blue eyes glancing around. "Where's Courtney?" He asked as he set a package on the table. "Oh, and I picked this up for you."

I smiled and stretched out my arms, letting my back crack out of the bent position it had been in. "She's upstairs taking a nap," I answered and reached over for the package. I knew it was the cell phone I had ordered for Courtney. "And thank you. Hopefully she will like this."

John took a seat and looked at the papers. "It's more like hopefully it keeps her safe," he murmured. I could only nod at him, not even wanting to think about what could happen if it didn't.

That was another reason that I was surprised that she stayed. It seemed like every turn we take, she is put in the way of some kind of danger. If she had decided to return to Daniel, she would have been safe and away from all these situations we have been in. My blood began to boil, though, at the mire thought of Daniel being the one to take care of her.

"Hello? Earth to Hunter?" I came out of my thoughts as I saw John's fingers snapping, inches from my nose.

"Sorry," I muttered, "I was just thinking."

John frowned as I looked at him, nodding down towards the table. "It looks more like you're trying to break a piece out of the table." I looked down at my hands to find that my fingers were white from the force of my grasp. "You also look very upset," John continued. "What were you thinking about that you so bent out of shape?"

I sat back in my chair, letting go of the table as I did so. I ran a hand through my hair, shaking my head. "It seems that Courtney is always a target," I said as I glanced towards the stairs. John leaned back in his chair as well, crossing his arms.

"Well, think about it Hunter. You don't have the best record with many people, and if anyone wanted to really get back at you, they'd go for something that you have proven is important to you. Word is getting around that Courtney has been staying here much longer than any other girl you've met." John gave a small shrug now. "People aren't just going to bypass news like that."

I knew he was right. I just didn't want to admit it. "How long will things keep going like this?" I knew he couldn't answer this question, and I wasn't expecting him to. "I can't raise a child in this kind of life. It would be like growing up while looking over your behind your back all the time, just to make sure no one is ever following you." I've been in that life and I hated every second of it. I never want that for my child, but I felt like I was being cornered.