Chapter 20 - She's Back

Courtney's POV

I had slipped into a very peaceful sleep after I heard Hunter say he loved me. It made my heart flutter when I heard it from the man that had fully stolen my heart. I could hear and see how hard saying those words must have been for him, so it made it all the more special for me. I snuggled close to his side, falling asleep to the feel of his strong arm around me.

It was his embrace that really made me feel safe once more. It was strong like steel and yet gentle as if I was made of glass. I have now seen just how strong he could be, and how hard he truly was on the outside, but with me, he was so gentle. He was kind and careful, showing me a side that he didn't show easily. That is what truly made me feel special.

Through the night, my sleep was filled with enjoyable dreams. It had been a long time since I had dreams that I never wanted to wake from. Several of them now involved Hunter, and, if they didn't have him in them, then it involved something about him.

However, the sun was beginning to shine through the windows, slowly arousing me from my sleep. I smiled as I began to feel a soft stroking of a thumb on my cheek and let out a soft sigh. Hunter. I felt a soft kiss on my forehead and my eyes slowly fluttered open. "Good morning to you too," I said softly.

Hunter chuckled. "It is now that you are awake," he said and continued to stroke my cheek. "You're too much of a temptation to just leave alone." I smiled softly as I blinked my eyes to try and clear them from sleep. I could get used to waking up like this.

"You know," he murmured as he stretched out slightly. He brought me closer to his side, pressing his nose gently into my hair. "You're awfully cute when you're sleeping." He moved his nose away from my hair and I shifted to look up at him, seeing a small grin on his lips.

"And how is that?" I asked, hearing the sleep in my voice.

He pointed down to the blanket. "Well, for one, you curled the blanket close to you as if you were cold. I also didn't have one moment without you curled up to my side," he said teasing slightly.

I blushed lightly. "I guess I should've warned you that I tend to cuddle up to something when I'm asleep," I admitted softly. It was something I had always done in my sleep since I was little. "But if you don't like that," I said playfully as I sat up. "I can always just go back to my own room."

I felt his fingers wrap softly around my arm and I squeaked as he quickly pulled me back. I looked down at him with a surprised expression as I landed on his chest. I felt the heat deepen in my cheeks as he chuckled again, thoroughly enjoying himself.

His hand landed on the small of my back, his thumb moving in a small circle. "No, its fine," he said. "Like I said, it was cute. Plus, I like the feel of you against me at night." He shot me a quick wink. I rolled my eyes and he rose up slightly to kiss me softly on the lips. Yep, I could get use to this kind of morning every morning.

Hunter gave a small sigh as he looked up at me, running his fingers through a strand of my hair. "I've decided that considering all the crap I put you through yesterday," he said softly, "that today will be all about you. I'll do whatever you want. Just ask and it's yours."

I smiled slightly hearing this as I looked at his soft, green gaze. There was that hidden soft side again, though I could still see the guilt that he held. Though I didn't blame him for any of it, I knew that he would rather have the blame on himself than on me. I ran my fingers along his bare chest, seeing him draw a slight breath at my touch. "I want to stay here all day, just you and me," I murmured softly.

He smiled and his hand pushed the strand of hair behind my ear. "As far as I know, John and Alex are both busy today," he said as his voice came barely above a whisper. "So, Sweetheart, that can be accomplished."