Chapter 7 - A Wall Crumbles

Hunter's POV

I remember watching Courtney climb the stairs, a small, soft smile on my lips. I could feel the pain in my side begin to ebb away as sleep was growing on me, drawing nearer with each second. I was exhausted from this night, ready to let it all melt away. However, one thought still stayed close to the surface of my mind: how nice it had been to have her next to my side.

I let out a soft sigh, my jaw clenching slightly. Don't do this. It won't end well. My conscious kept throwing this at me, and I knew I needed to listen, but I didn't want to. This past week and a half have been surprisingly relaxing with her around, apart from tonight. However, I decided not to dwell on it any longer tonight, letting my eye lids shut and allowing sleep to take me over. However, it didn't last too long.

"I'm so sorry sweetie. Is there any other family you have that lives nearby?"

I could see a tall, slender nurse dressed in jeans and a sea green scrub top as she held a small trembling boy. She spoke softly, holding the boy close as she tried to comfort him.

"No! No, no, no, no, no! Bring them back! That's your job! You're the doctors so bring them back!"

I heard the wails of the young boy, the younger me. All of it was still so fresh in my mind. Even after all the years, I still felt the pain in my dreams.

"Shh, I know honey, I know."

I could hear the nurse's heart as it beat for me, broke for me. Her grip had tightened around the younger me, and all I could do was cry, shake, and cry some more.

"No! Bring them back! Bring them back!"

Sitting up and coming out of the dream, I immediately felt pain shoot through my side. I let out an agonizing yelp of pain as I clutched my side, the images slowly fading away from my sight. Beading of sweat ran down my forehead, and I could feel myself shaking just as the younger me had in the dream.

That's when I felt a hand cover mine as I held my wound. My instincts immediately kicked in before I could really figure out where I was through the pain and fear that had consumed me. I swiftly grabbed the arm of whoever it was and twisted it, throwing the body backwards. "Get off me!" I yelled and then felt another wave of pain hit me. I clutched my side harder, screwing my eyes shut.

It wasn't until I heard the thud of a light body and a soft huff of air that I looked over. My vision cleared as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. Female, blonde hair, and blue eyes. "Oh crap! Courtney!" I swung my legs over and moved to get off the couch as I tried to rush to her side. "I'm so sorry! I didn't know-Ah!" The pain became fiercer, causing me to fall back against the couch to try and get some relief. I stay completely still, willing the pain to go away as I looked through the dark towards Courtney's form. "I'm so sorry!" I repeated hastily. "Are you okay?"

I watched the blonde stagger to her feet as she held her arm close to her chest. I saw head nodding as she held up her other hand. "Yes, Hunter. I'm fine. Just stay still." She motioned a bit with her held up hand, showing how much she wanted me to remain still. Then she quickly turned and disappeared into the kitchen.

I gasped at the pain once more, throwing my head back against the couch this time. I saw the kitchen light turn on, lighting up the living room slightly. I blinked a bit and heard a glass rattle and some water turn on and off. I heard her light, quick steps, and soon she was back in the living room.

She came over to my side, moving carefully into my vision. I could have laughed at how she wanted to be sure I saw her this time, but my pain stopped that from happening. She knelt on the couch beside me and I then noticed what she was holding; a glass of water and a rag.