Chapter 16 - A Promise Kept

Hunter's POV

I could've killed Daniel for just touching Courtney. How dare he touch her! He had no right to touch her at all! I felt my fingers begin to hurt as I made fists in my lap. I had to sit there and watch him hug her, not once, but twice.

If John hadn't held me back, I would've been over there, knocking him back. I would've made sure he knew who I was and just what Courtney meant to me. I bit my tongue as the seconds dragged on with them talking. It hurt to just watch.

Then he made her cry. What man deliberately makes a girl, no a woman, like Courtney cry? I swore up and down to John in that moment that I would kill Daniel. He hurt her, made her cry, and now I was going to make sure he hurt!

It was when she began to fight back, speaking harsher to him, that I was a bit surprised. I watched as he seemed taken back by her words, and I felt some pride rise in my chest. That's my girl! I could hear a bit of what was said thanks to their raised voices. "You should be on your knees thanking those men because it could have been far worse!" Those were the words that I couldn't help but smile at because I knew that was a slap in the face to Daniel.

However, I could still feel John's arms around my shoulders and the demand in his voice as he told me to go outside. He was trying to stop me from seeing what happened next, but it was too late. Daniel had kissed Courtney right in front of me. I had gone for the lung but John's grip kept me seated where I was until I saw that it was Courtney who broke the kiss. This was yet another slap to Daniel. It gave me a little relief, but not enough to spare the likes of Daniel Richard.

But what happened next I wasn't prepared for. When Daniel had grabbed Courtney's arm, I moved to jump in but still John held me back. That's when Daniel drug her down a hallway and I heard her voice telling him to let go. That's when John released me.

He took her! My heart was pounding. I couldn't do anything to help her before because we were in public and the threat of the police being around. My promise rang in my head. I promise I will keep you safe...I'll make sure to keep you out of harms way.

My gut twisted. I had to keep my promise to her. I had to get to her. She had been hurt over and over again by men and it was on the verge of happening again. I refused to become one of those men that allowed her to be hurt. Not now, not ever.

When I saw the chance to get back there without suspicion, I took it. My heart beat was now ringing in my ears. I saw the door at the end of the hall and made my way to it. She must be in there.

John stayed near the hallway entrance, casually looking around as if he was waiting on someone while being my look out. As I came closer to the door, I found out that it was locked then heard muffled yells on the other side. Daniel! All of my being wanted to kick my boot through the door, but I knew that there was a chance Courtney might be hurt if I did it. However, I knew I was on a time limit here.

Kneeling down, I looked around on the floor for something to help me out. I smiled as my eyes landed on a stray bobby-pin up against the wall. Thank God for women and their need to style their hair! Picking it up, I bent it in the shape that I needed and began my work on the lock, praying I wasn't going to be too late.

Courtney's POV

I looked at the door as it locked behind him. My heart sped up, my hands turned ice cold, and I knew I was in trouble. I should've trusted Hunter's bad feeling about this! I should've just done this whole thing over the phone! I looked at Daniel now as he turned to face me.

"Now that no one can hear me," he began. "WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING?!" He finally exploded and I stepped back away from him. "Do you have ANY idea how messed up it is to fall for your own KIDNAPPER?! How messed up YOU are?!" He glared at me now, only causing me to cringe more.