Chapter 43 - Darkness Hides

Courtney's POV

It had to be close to the time when the meeting with Hunter was supposed to go down. Several people were running around, making sure things were in order, and getting their weapons prepared. Katherine was speaking to a man that I assumed was Michael, and a strange man sat in the distance, leaning comfortably against the wall.

I knew Michael by the way he spoke of Hunter. His stories and statements of recent affairs matched up with Hunter's. It was weird to see the man that first caused all of Hunter's problems concerning me, starting with the bullet hole in the wall and then the bullet hole in Hunter himself. He stood close to Hunter's height, being just a few inches shorter around six foot one. He and Hunter could easily stand eye to eye if they made it that far without throwing a fist or firing a gun. His hair was jet black though, buzzed at the sides, and formed into a short Mohawk down the center. His arms, though muscular, were covered with tattoos of all different things.

He had this threatening appearance around him and this icy stare that seemed to demand respect and authority. It sent a shiver down my spine just looking at him as he talked to Katherine. Even Katherine seemed to have respect for this man, looking at him as if he held all the power in the world.

He probably does around here...

My attention then turned to the man in the distance. He looked comfortable where he sat on top of old crates, leaning carelessly against the wall without a care or worry it seemed. His arms were crossed over his chest as he watched everyone with a dark green gaze. His hair was a light brunette color, and he looked rather rough. It was scary how much I realized he looked like Hunter.

Hunter's eyes were a few shades lighter, and his hair had more of a mix of brunette and blonde, but their build and bulk were very similar. The ways they sat were comparable, the square of their jaws, the way their features lay... It looks like I'm looking at a twin of Hunter.

His eyes skirted over the door of my room and I quickly ducked away from the small window I was looking through. The last thing I wanted was that man coming near me. He may look similar to Hunter, but his eyes held different gazes. Not to mention that I know Hunter's abilities and connections, and if this man is anything like him then I'd hate to be on his bad side.

Stepping away from the door, I paced the floor now, my arms wrapped around my stomach once more. I was getting nervous about all of this with every moment, every second, that passed by. I just wanted to see Hunter and get out of here. I wanted to go back home, forget any of this ever happened, and get back to my simple life with Hunter, John, and Alex. I pressed my hand to the top of my stomach and shut my eyes. We'll be home soon, little one. We just have to get through all of this. We just have to wait for daddy. It gave me some comfort to pretend someone could hear me. It was definitely much better than staring at the wall.

I heard some scuffling outside my door and paused my movements, listening in to the voices I heard.

"What time is it?"

The first voice I heard was gruff, belonging clearly to a guy. However, the female voice I heard that answered was all too familiar.

"It's almost one. Hunter will be here soon."

My immediate guess was that the male voice belonged to Michael since Katherine seemed to have this reverent tone in her voice. However it was the fact that they were talking just outside my door that didn't sit well with me. Yet the thoughts of Hunter being on his way here put some ease to me. I would be back home soon; back where I belonged.

My heart jumped to my throat when I heard the door open.

Katherine stepped in as Michael stood just outside, looking in. "Are you doing okay now, Princess?"