Chapter 42 - Day Three

Courtney's POV

Pictured flashed in my head rapidly. Hunter on the ground, hands gripping my wrists, arms, and feet, being thrown into a car while being held down so I wouldn't get out, and then being thrown in a dark room. The smell of fish hung everywhere around me, purely evident.

I moaned lightly as I began to wake up, feeling the tarps below me that apparently were supposed to form a bed. The room was still, dark, and the smell of fish was still lingering, verifying that what happened wasn't merely a dream. I slowly sat up, feeling nauseous because of the smell, and I felt my head pound.

I gripped my head slightly and blinked my eyes in hopes that they would adjust to the dark quicker. The only light that came through the darkness was through the window in the door and around its edges. However, that was enough for me to see the figure that stood there, leaning against the wall, watching me.

When I woke up yesterday, I wasn't really visited. A man that I didn't know had slid a little bit of food beneath the door, though I made no move for it until he had verified it was completely safe. Besides that, there had been no interaction between me and anyone else. That is until now apparently.

My heart rate immediately sped up and back away as far as I could from the door, feeling the wall press against my back. I watched as the figure moved, but I wasn't sure what it was doing. I wrapped my arms protectively around my stomach, refusing to allow anything to happen to the little one inside me even though I knew I wouldn't be able to stop much anyways.

"Relax Princess. I'm not going to hurt you."

That voice... I clenched my teeth together as I eyed the figure, refusing to relax. Not around her.

Katherine stepped further into the small bit of light, her red hair and green eyes looking darker in this room. "You put up quite the fight last night," she said, eyeing me up and down. This made me curl up further. I wanted to lash out, demand to be released, but I knew I was in no position for that. Why are you here, you snake? My mind yelled instead. What do you want? Haven't you caused enough pain?!

Seeing I wasn't going to give her any reaction towards her comment, Katherine breathed in heavily. "Look, Princess." I scowled at the nickname she gave me. "I don't want to be here either but I have orders to be in here when you woke up to make sure some things are set straight."

I rolled my eyes as she continued. "One, don't struggle and don't try to run. Do that and you won't get hurt." She crossed her arms over her chest. "Simple enough, right? Two, when or if Hunter comes here with the money, you are to remain quiet during the transfer. Three, if I were you I wouldn't have an attitude around here." She stepped towards me and then brought out her cell phone from her pocket. She raised her hand, making the light shine on me. I had to blink against the sudden light in the darkness, raising one of my own hands to block some of the light. She nodded towards the arm that remained wrapped around my stomach. "I know what's going on," she murmured and my heart skipped a bit.

I looked at her, shock filling my eyes, and she was the one that rolled her eyes now. "Oh come on. I'm not stupid. I noticed that you were bigger since the last I saw you and I could tell it wasn't from eating too many treats." She nodded towards the door. "The men around here don't know anything yet, but if you cause any trouble, I guarantee that will change."

I looked right at Katherine, seeing nothing but a scheming, conniving witch. She was using this against me. She was using the fact that I have a precious little one in a dangerous situation to control me and make me bend to any wishes she may have. She smiled with a sickening sweetness that made my stomach turn and then dropped the light. "Well, now that we have that cleared, I guess my job is done now."