Chapter 18 - She Blames Herself

Alex's POV

I watched as Courtney moved around the house, clean everything there was to clean. She seemed to never stop, her feet and hands constantly moving. She didn't take a single rest and I honestly was beginning to have trouble keeping up with her.

When John had texted while I was with Courtney in her room, he was letting me know that he hadn't had much luck. His second text, the one before Courtney began to clean, was letting me know that he hadn't seen him at his usual bars and had decided to head home. John suggested that we just let Hunter show up when he wanted to, but all I wanted to do right now was yell at him for leaving Courtney here after everything.

Hearing her wake up and yell his name only made my reason stand stronger. He was the one that should have been at her side, not me. He should've been here to tell her it was alright and that she was safe now, not me. She needed him here right now and he was out, running around who knows where. Why would he just assume that she didn't want anything to do with him anymore?

I couldn't wrap my head around it and just rolled my eyes at how rash my brother could be. As I watched Courtney clean, the more I wished she hadn't been caught up in this whole mess. Anyone could see that it was a lot to put on her, especially after she was scarred by Sanders. Now she will probably view Daniel like Sanders.

The sound of the garage door opening tore me from my thoughts and I immediately knew that it was John. Looking at the clock, I noticed now that about half an hour or so had passed since he texted to let me know he was coming back.

Moments later, he entered into the living room and looked around, a slight surprised look appearing on his face. "Whoa," he breathed and grinned. "Okay, we really need to leave you two at home more often." I just rolled my eyes.

John walked over to the couch and took off his jacket, laying it neatly over the back of it. "I ordered a pizza for dinner again. Hopefully that's alright with you?" He looked over at Courtney since he knew I wouldn't care as long as it was food.

Courtney looked over and nodded towards him, smiling. "Yep, that's fine with me." Her voice was a happy tone compared to before, though I thought it was a little too happy. It's an act. I couldn't help but think it. She came down from the chair she was using to clean the windows and went around the living room gathering the towels and rags we had used.

The house was now dusted, swept, washed down, and cleaner than I have ever seen it before. In all honesty, I liked it much better this way. I always knew that Hunter's room was clean, but with all the parties that usually happen around here, the place never stays real clean. A woman's touch is nice.

I watched Courtney as she walked to the laundry room, no doubt placing all the rags in the washer. She came back out, rubbing her hands together, and looked at me and John. "So, I'm guessing that it will just be us three tonight?"

John chuckled and opened his mouth to answer but I beat him to the punch. "Yeah, Hunter will probably be busy until tomorrow." John scrunched up his eyebrows in confusion at me when I looked over at him, but I just slightly shook my head, silently pleading that he would go along with me.

Finally, he just nodded. "Yeah, what he said." I smiled slightly in relief. The last thing that needed to happen was Courtney being worried about Hunter being M.I.A.

My attention was brought back to John when I heard him talking to Courtney, and chuckling. "What the heck are you wearing?" Courtney now glanced down at her clothes. "Aren't those Hunter's?" He teased as he laughed a bit harder.

Courtney's cheeks were a light pink now. "Yeah, they are," she said with a slight shrug and reached behind her to adjust her shirt so it stayed around her slim frame. I slowly shook my head as John seemed to be about to die of laughter.