Chapter 36 - Fair Warnings

Courtney's POV

It was the end of the week before we knew it. Honestly, Katherine's seemingly empty threats were making me more and more nervous with each passing day. All I could do was hope that what we thought was true really was. I would hate to be blind sided by this now.

I now had Hunter's, John's, and Alex's numbers all put into my phone. So far, Alex was the number one caller. If he isn't able to make it to the house, he calls my cell phone to make sure I am alright. I suspect that John had talked to him though. He hasn't been calling as often as he was in the beginning.

Hunter said that he was going to have to go meet Katherine in person to tell her his answer. He had decided that he wasn't going to give her a dime. He no longer had her number, which wasn't surprising, so he had no other choice than to meet up with her. When asked about staying home alone, I told Hunter that I wasn't comfortable with the idea just yet. So he arranged for John to stay at the house with me, though I have no doubt that Alex will follow as well.

It just makes me feel more at ease when I know people are nearby just in case something was to go wrong. Besides, its not just me staying here anymore. I have the baby to think about now and that is definitely enough to make me think about extra protection around here.

I heard Hunter walking upstairs and I quietly sipped my hot tea on the couch. It was a bit of a cool morning so I had his hooded jacket on, looking like I was wrapped up in a blanket. I knew he liked seeing me in his clothes, though, so I wasn't too worried about how silly I may look.

A few moments later, he came walking down the stairs in a pair of light jeans and a nice fitting, black t-shirt. "Alright, John texted and said that he would be here soon. Alex decided to come as well, but I doubt that's any surprise."

I smiled and shook my head at the news of Alex. "No, not at all," I said as I set my glass down on the coffee table. I looked up at him as I continued. "I figured he would be tagging along." He smiled and then came over to me, leaning down with his hands against the back of the couch on either side of me.

"You'll be safe here, and everything will go well, okay?" He spoke softly, his green eyes as gentle as his voice. I didn't even have to say a word about it. He knew I was worried.

I gave a small smile and slowly nodded. "I know it will be. I just can't help but think of everything that could go wrong."

His eyes held amusement now. "Well, you are a woman," he said with a teasing smirk.

I laid my hands on my hips as best I could in my sitting state. "What's that suppose to mean?"

He chuckled now. "Come on, I didn't mean it in a rude way," he said glancing down at my hands. "I just meant that women have an instinct to worry about those they love."

I couldn't argue with that fact. "And I guess men don't worry for those that they love then?" I asked with a small smirk. He shrugged lightly.

"Well, we just aren't as noticeable," he said then softly kissed my lips. I laughed slightly into the kiss as I wrapped my arms around his neck. Just like him to make the situation light before he leaves. There was a sound of a car door shutting that made him pull away.

"It seems like the bodyguards are finally here." He stood up straight once again and not a second later Alex came through the door.

"Hey, we're here," he announced with his patented crooked grin. John came in soon after him, rolling his eyes with a small smirk on his lips.

"I don't think they need an announcement if you're standing right there," he said to Alex then smiled over at Hunter and me. "So you're really doing this?"