Chapter 49 - Through and Through

Courtney's POV

"So, how have you been doing?"

I looked over at Hunter as we sat together on the couch together, happy he had finally been able to make it over to see me. I was nestled under his arm as he held me close to his side, his hand resting gently on my arm. Lindsey was in the back room with John, apparently discussing some important matters. Since this was one of the only few times Hunter was able to visit me, I was glad we were able to be alone for a bit.

Responding to him, I gave a small shrug, folding my hands in my lap. "I've been alright," I said softly. "Lindsey has a way of working around me so everything has been rather easy." I gave a small smile, but I could tell he was still studying me.

He drew a small breath and then moved his thumb along my arm as he continued. "And how are you feeling about...Everything that happened?" He was tiptoeing again. Ever since that day, he has never spoken directly about the subject of the gun or Michael. I guess it was his way of not hurting me any further.

I shifted to face him and then nodded a bit slowly. "At first, it was a lot to handle," I said softly. "It weighed on my mind so much that I had nightmares about it, and even woke up several times screaming." I gave a small huff and looked at my hands. "Lindsey even heard me a few times in the night and I would often hear her coming towards my door to listen and see if I was okay." I paused for a moment as I thought of those nights then saw him move his hands to cover mine.

"What about now?" He asked gently, his voice low and soft. Looking up at his eyes, I saw that they shone softly as he looked at me, and everything Lindsey had told me yesterday came rushing back. I knew she was right about Hunter being here for me, and how he always would be.

"Lindsey and I had a long talk about it and I'm alright with it now." He kept looking at me with this questioning look and I could tell he was trying to figure out if he believed me or not. Finally I let out a sigh and continued. "Okay, I still have nightmares, but I have come to terms with what has happened."

Hunter looked at my hands and gave them a small squeeze before bringing his gaze up to mine once more. "Are you sure you have come to terms with everything? I am here to help you if you need it. You know that, right?"

I smiled and nodded, my heart fluttering at the fact that he wanted to help me so much. "Everything is fine. I'm fine, and I'm happy you are finally here with me. And I know you are willing to help me and I am thankful to have someone like you by my side." Reaching up, I gently wrapped my arms around him, feeling his arms come around to hold me close. "When can I come home?" I asked softly, not wanting to have to part with him anymore.

He chuckled and pulled away from me, looking at me with a playful gaze. "What? Are you getting tired of being here already?" I quickly shook my head in defense which caused him to smile.

"No, no. I do love it here and Lindsey has been nothing but good and supportive to me. But I miss you Hunter. You know that. And I'm tired of having to say goodbye to you." He nodded and his playful gaze melted away, being replaced with one of understanding.

"I know," he murmured, touching my cheek. "I hate saying goodbye too." I smiled and he leaned in, gently kissing me as his arms tightened around me. However, it ended quickly as I gasped, feeling movement within my belly.

"Are you okay?" I nearly laughed at the instant worry that filled Hunter's voice and gaze, and I grabbed his hand. I placed it on top of my stomach, watching his eyebrows furrow in confusion. Soon there was another movement and he jumped slightly, looking at where his hand lay. A smile soon spread on his lips and he looked up at me. "It...The baby..."