Chapter 39 - Three Days

Courtney's POV

"So what's the plan for lunch?"

I rolled my eyes as I looked over at Alex, seeing him sit up in his chair. "Are you really hungry already?" I asked, teasing lightly. He was just telling me about his wonderful breakfast that he ate right before coming here.

He smirked and playfully glared at me. "Come on, I'm a growing boy!" He said defending himself. "Food is my lifeline right now." I got up and headed towards the kitchen, only to hear him get to his feet quickly. "You don't have to cook, Courtney. I can head out and get pizza or Chinese."

I shook my head, honestly not wanting to see either of those foods for a while. It seems that every time Alex was hungry, we are eating either pepperoni pizza or Chinese and it was getting a bit tiring. "Trust me Alex," I said over my shoulder as I reached for all the ingredients I would need. "I've got a much better plan and I guarantee you will like it."

I heard Alex chuckle as he took a seat at the table. "I have always liked anything you cook." I smiled as I turned my attention to mixing the ingredients. Truth was, I have only cooked for Alex and John a few times over the last few weeks, but Alex was content to insist that my cooking was the best around. I have found it entertaining to tease Alex a bit as I'm cooking by not letting him know what the dish is. It gives me plenty of entertainment.

And so I got to work, mixing and baking everything. Alex began to grow a bit restless as I cooked, trying to sneak peaks around me as I stood in the way of his view to the food. However, I was able to put an end to that by threatening to keep the food away from him. That was enough to get him to go back into the living room, away from the temptation to sneak a peak. I knew it wouldn't be much longer before I had lunch ready, but it was like an eternity to Alex.

"Come on Courtney! What are you making?" His voice floated in through the kitchen doorway, laced with a whine. "Smelling the food and not being able to eat it right now is killing me!"

I was tempted to tell him he still had another hour to go, but I decided to be nice and I set the food out on the table. "Alright, you big baby, the food is done and you can come in." As he came around the doorframe, I saw the playful glare he wore before his eyes found the food.

"I know how much you like pizza," I said as I went back for some plates. "So I made one, but its taco, not pepperoni." As I looked back over my shoulder to Alex, I saw him analyzing it. It had thin crust with meat on the bottom, then melted cheese, lettuce, and two side dishes of salsa and sour cream incase he wanted some.

As I came back over to the table, he looked up and gave me a small smile. "Alright, I'll admit that this isn't my normal pizza, but it does look good." He took one of the plates I held out to him and began to fill it.

Our lunch went by peacefully, with some jokes and teasing. I realized just how much Alex like the taco pizza each time he reached for two, sometimes three, pieces at a time. I'll have to remember to make this more often.

As we ate, I looked down to notice once again that my belly was no longer flat. There was a small, not too noticeable, baby bump there now. I smiled to myself as I laid a hand over it, thinking of the little one that I held within me. It was still surprising to be reminded that I will be called "mommy" in a matter of time.

I heard a knock on the door that drew me out of my thoughts. As I looked up, I could tell that Alex had noticed me smiling and off in thought, though he didn't say anything about it. As a second knock sounded, I gave him a questioning glance, only to have it mirrored by him. We both slowly rose and he walked out in front of me, staying quiet.

As he reached the door, he motioned towards the stairs, and I nodded in reply. We both knew that neither John nor Hunter would be knocking, and I knew that he didn't want to take any chances.