"murderous gene"

📍 Outer Banks

📍 Outer Banks

"AFTERNOON SELAH," Gia cleared her throat, ushering Selah into her office at the Kildare Police station, "I'm glad you could make it without the fuss, you sounded a little scared on the phone?"

The Kildare Police station took a liking to Gia, despite not allowing her near the Routledge case nor the recent 5 homicides. They thought she was too closely attached and that she was trying to make connections where there weren't. It didn't help that Gia couldn't have access to Peterkin's old information, so she was back to square one.

Nothing would stop Gia from snooping though, and so with a little digging she was able to get into the statements of the cases. Interestingly enough, she'd found a now retracted statement from Lana Grubbs who was originally affirming that Selah knew what happened in the cases of Big John Routledge and Marisol Diaz, and that she had no part in it either. The retracted statement only led Gia to believe that Ms Grubbs must have found out Selah had been lying, it seemed like the only plausible conclusion. Why would Grubbs retract the statement and suddenly leave town?

Selah sniffled in her seat, composing herself before looking up at Gia, "I'm nervous, as would anyone be when they've been lied to and falsely accused."

"Falsely accused?" Gia furrowed her brows. She crossed her arms with amusement, full-well knowing Selah had begun to brew up a lie to save herself.

"You know me Gia," Selah replied, "The things you're trying to accuse me of? Sounds like a Kook with a power trip, not a poor pogue with a drowning business."

"I heard you'd been living at the Cameron's? Plus, last I recall, the board shop had been under run for a while."

"And who told you that?"

"Your one and only employee," Gia sighed, finally taking a seat as she leaned back in her chair, "Selah, you wanna talk off the record for a minute?"

"I don't think that's wise-" Selah mumbled however she scaredly looked at Gia, "But I'm sure you don't care."

"I've been thrown around the island trying to figure out your deal," Gia spoke over her, "At first I respected you, I mean you took in your niece and you provided her with a safe home. Lana Grubbs vouched for you all the way through, until she didn't... then Santana didn't... then the Maybank kid didn't... then it was a Routledge and-"

"I hardly think those judgments are fair."

"Fair or not, the niece you've been looking after probably thinks you're gonna send her off to her exectution," Gia added, sliding a paper to her, "Tell me why Lana Grubbs made a statement vouching for your validity in the recent homicide cases, yet the second it was retracted she abruptly left town."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Selah insisted, shifting in her seat, "Ms Grubbs was a close friend of the family, I couldn't imagine-"

Gia took a deep breath, her short fuse wasn't quite being managed with Selah's denial, "Cut the shit Selah-"