04| Have We Met Before? |

The early risers chirped, and the glittering sun rays spread various hues of shiny silvers and gold into her room. She blinked and squeezed her eyes a little and the rays blinded her temporarily.

Remind me to close the curtains next time.

She sluggishly reached for her phone which she had kept on the bedside drawer. "Seven thirty." she grumbled. Then it dawned on her that she is supposed to be at work by eight and she is already late. Throwing the phone on the bed, she dashed into the bathroom to have a shower.

Late on her first day at work? That is not a good first impression. What will the doctors and nurses there think of her? Sighing, she rubbed lotion all over her body and sprayed some perfume. Immediately she opened her closet, her eyes landed on a sky blue A-shaped gown, it was adorned with stones almost everywhere. She slipped it in and draped a white veil over her head. She applied a little nude lipstick to her lips, picked up her bag, and sashayed out of the room.

"Morning, umma." she greeted, giving her mother a Peck on the cheeks.

"Morning mufida, how was your night?." umma replied not taking her eyes off the potatoes she is peeling, she was still making breakfast.

"Alhamdulillah, umma," she answered and opened the fridge and took out one Apple, and closed it. "Umma I'm leaving." umma kept the knife aside and turned to mufida.

"Won't you have breakfast before leaving?."mufida sighed.

"Yes umma, I'm late, I will have something there. Bye wish me luck." without waiting for her mother's reply, she ran out of the house and entered the car. She roared the engine to life and drove off to the hospital.

Nervous was how she was feeling when she pulled her car into the parking lot. She got out of the car, she smiled widely admiring the hospital. Al-Umma Specialist Hospital; was written boldly in blue. She closed the door and breathed in and out to calm down her nervousness. She took a few delicate steps towards the building, her right hand was rested gently against her racing heart.

She went straight to the receptionist and they exchanged pleasantries. "Dr. Mufida."

The Lady thought for a while. "The new cardiologist right?." the Lady enquired and she managed to give a wide smile despite how nervous she was. "Follow me." she waited for the lady to come out of her office.

"let's go." the lady ushered and she trailed behind her. "Dr. Mufida you will work under Dr. Hisham a neurosurgeon and also the owner of this hospital. I can see that you are very nervous but trust me you needn't be nervous everything is going to be okay."

The only thing she heard the lady say was everything is going to be okay because she was lost in her world of thought not even lost maybe trapped.

"We're here." the lady pushed the door and entered, not knowing if she was supposed to stay and wait for her outside. She followed suit.

"Yes, she was the one Dr. Hisham told us about."mufida greeted the Lady and took a sit even though she wasn't offered a sit. How welcoming;

Note the sarcasm.

"Okay I will get her uniform made right away, what's her name again?." the receptionist Lady opened her mouth to answer her but mufida beat her to it.

"Dr. Mufida Auwal Muhammad."

"Dr. Mufida nice to meet you, I'm Nurse Judith."mufida flashed her a smile and took the hands she was offered warmly. "Your uniform will be ready by next week, by God's grace."

"Okay." was the only thing she managed to say, she still hasn't met her so-called boss yet. She is still nervous like hell.

"We will get going."Nurse Judith nodded and they left with mufida trailing behind the receptionist as she has no idea where they are going.

"We're here." the receptionist announced forcing mufida out of her thoughts, she is still trying to put her thoughts together in one place. "I have to go now, maybe someone is looking for me out there."mufida gave a slight nod and pushed the door open, forgetting to knock.

"Good mor....."

"Don't you know how to knock." he cut in, not even sparing her a glance.

Her lips quivered because of how thunderous his voice sounded. "Sorry," she muttered then went outside and knock properly.

"Good mor....."

"I don't need your good morning, what's your name?." she had to roll her eyes at that. He is so rude he didn't even care to look at her.

How rude!

"Dr. Mufida Muhammad." he gave a slight nod and opened the cabin close to him and brought out a blue file. He flipped through it and said. "Cardiologist."

Mufida stared at him, even though his head is down, he still looked awkwardly familiar to her, she was deep in thought wondering if they have met before.

"Yes," she answered sternly.

"I will prefer you to say; yes Sir." she rolled her eyes again and hissed lowly.

"Okay, Sir."

"You were supposed to report to my office by eight. May I know why you are late?." he enquired and her brows arched up in confusion.

I overslept: she replied mentally with an eye roll.

"Sir, I was late due to the traffic jam." she lied biting her lower lips, hoping he won't know that she lied to him, that too on her first day at work.

"But Sir have we met before," she asked out of the blue.

"Certainly not," he answered arrogantly still flipping through her file. She inhaled a deep breath and stared at him, praying to herself for him to see if it is who she thinks he is.

I hope is not h....

No that's not possible. She shook her head and sighed adjusting her veil.

"But Sir you look awkwardly familiar to me," she added which made him laugh.

It wasn't a joke.

"Have you seen my face?." he asked amidst laughter, his head is still down she still haven't caught a glimpse of him.

"No Sir, bu..."

"Enough." he caught her off picking up the telephone beside him. "Yes. Come and take her away from my office."

How rude ?! She thought glaring at him.

A soft knock came in and a Lady probably not older than 20 came in, wearing white clothes from head to toe.

"Take her to the rest, I will be there."

mardiey_writes this one is for you I hope you've enjoyed the update ❤️ thanks for the lovely votes and comments. Do check out her books too.