30| A Chance To Unite |

"Baba, you hid such a big thing from us?"Haidar asked his eyes watery. Their father told them everything about his past, how their own mother bewitched him and he lost total control of himself and left his first wife. It wasn't his fault at all and he'll try his very best to make Halima realize that he wasn't in his senses when he made that awful decision.

"Guilt has been eating me up, I couldn't tell you the truth as I didn't want to paint your mother bad in your eyes."Alhaji Ahmad gulped a lump of pain blocking his heart.

The door opened slowly and Maryam was the first to walk in, her eyes wandering around the huge living room. She couldn't believe that Dada owned the house. Her mother was still standing by the door step trapped between her thoughts and emotions.

Despite Maryam being sick, and still weak she managed to convince her mother to come with her, it wasn't easy but here they are.

"Maa."Maryam called out as quite as possible. Maa looked up at her and shook her head and mouthed 'No' to Maryam.

Maryam smiled faintly at Maa before slowly dragging her in, "Maa, everything will be okay?"She whispered in her ear and Maa looked up at her as if what she just said is going to be easy.

No matter how much she tries to hide the pain inflicting her heart, this whole house will make it obvious to everyone. She has been hiding it for so long, and now ?

Why does he even want to meet her ? She thought he left, saying that he never loved her and doesn't want to see her ever again.

And after so many years he will just come back ?

"Maryam..."Haidar weighed rubbing his face with his palms as he sighed. He had no idea what to say next. The girl he treated so badly turned out to be his stepsister.

That's just how the world is. Full of surprises.

"Hajara, please come."Alhaji Ahmad ushered them in taking both Maryam and Hajara by surprise.

Hajara wasn't sure if it was just pretense, like the way he pretended to be in love with and then at the end left with just a letter followed by a divorce which left her devastated.

Maryam rubbed her hands softly and gave her a reassuring look. They both took their respective sit on the couch and stayed in total silence.

Alhaji Ahmad cleared his throat and started. "I should've done this long ago, but I was feeling ashamed to even open my mouth and speak."He paused and looked at Hajara. "I wasn't being fair, especially to you Hajara and I'm truly sorry. It wasn't my intention to leave you guys."

Hajara took a glance at him once before looking away. What would she even say to him ? If she hadn't come to Nigeria or if she had stopped Maryam from coming to Nigeria then none of this would've happened, she wouldn't have meet Ahmad, after so many years.

This small acquaintance can bring back those bad memories again.

Alhaji Ahmad narrated all that had happened between his second wife and why he did all that to her, she couldn't help but also think he is at fault. If didn't get married to his second wife then everything would've been fine, and her family will be complete but he ruined it.

"Dada, Maa and I are okay the way we are. We all know the reason you called us here, you knew the truth but hid it why didn't you come to Maa immediately then ? You left her, you left both us."Maryam remarked. "I thought you were dead, you compelled her to lie to me, she couldn't tell me the truth that my father didn't want to be with us, he took you as a mistake so he left, she cared about my feelings, she didn't want me to feel bad but what you did was uncalled for, even though half of it is not your fault."