06| Late Again |

Mufida pulled her car into the parking lot and checked the time, it was 8:36 am, and she is late again. Shaking her head and cussing herself for being late again. She had forgotten about her job because of the movie she stayed up almost all night watching on Netflix and she is regretting it now. How could she be so careless?

She jogged into the hospital and went straight to the receptionist to sign the attendance. The names were all there except hers which came last because she came late again.

Way to go Mufida!

She signed it quickly and gave the receptionist her pen back because she left hers at home.

"Dr. Mufida you've to report to Dr. Hisham's office to assign your work for you and here is your uniform, please put it on."mufida smiled and collected the lab coat which has her name designed on it, and the stereoscope. She replied with thanks and rushed to Dr. Hisham's office.

She exhaled a deep breath, put on her uniform, and knocked before he insult her again. He didn't say come in but she entered anyway.

She opened her mouth to say good morning but remembered his last words. I don't need your good morning. She kept shut and said. "I'm here, Sir."

"Yes," he grunted without lifting his face from the bulky files in front of him. "Late, as usual, Dr. Mufida."

She bit her lower lip and said. "I'm sorry Sir."

"Come early next time or else I won't tolerate this from you," he instructed and mufida nodded. "We have a new patient who was admitted earlier this morning, looking at her reports, she is having symptoms of atherosclerotic Heart Disease. Here take a look at the reports and tell me what's wrong, I've to test your knowledge before taking you to the patient."

She scoffed at that and collected the reports, after she was done checking the reports she said. "Sir, the patient had gone through only two to three symptoms of this disease, which are pain in the chest, gastrointestinal, and shortness of breath due to which she lost consciousness. Sir, but we need to confirm first by doing an x-ray scan of the chest of the patient to see if there is a build-up of plague in the artery veins, and Sir we need to do this as fast as possible."

"Not bad," he stated and stood up. He grabbed his stereoscope and wore his lab coat. He picked up something that looks like a case for glasses and opened it, he brought out his glasses and put them on.

He wears glasses, but Haidar doesn't. I'm confused what's happening here? Is this a joke or what? Haidar even if you're doing this on purpose please hear my heart and stop.

"let's go." he ushered pulling her out of her trance, she faked a smile at him and followed after him, holding the medical reports firmly in her hands.

They entered the elevator and Dr. Hisham tapped on the floor 13 button and the door of the elevator automatically closed. Mufida was feeling suffocated as different thoughts ran through her mind, mostly about Haidar and her so-called boss Dr. Hisham who looks exactly like Haidar, her ex-lover.

Maybe they're twins.

No, but Haidar has never mentioned his name before or having a twin brother

The only sibling of his that I met only once or maybe twice is Halima.

And Haidar can't stay a moment without disturbing my peace of mind.

And they are two different people; Haidar is nice but Dr. Hisham is not nice and he is so full of himself.

Haidar is always smiling but Dr. Hisham is too grumpy, he kind of reminds me of the old Ya Ridwan.

"Dr. Mufida what are you daydreaming about, come out already." he glared at her and she shot him a fake smile before coming out of the elevator her head down. Embarrassed was how she was feeling right now.

I'm settling on them being twins, if not if I keep seeing my boss as Haidar I won't be able to focus on my job.

Sighing, she brought herself back to reality before she gets herself embarrassed, again.

Dr. Hisham opened the door to a room, numbered 153, which mufida guessed is the patient's room. Entering the room, she saw a petite young girl lying down on the bed, probably 20 years old or above and beside her was a Lady who looks like her mother because of the resemblance.

"How are you feeling now?." the girl smiled weakly at Dr. Hisham and gave him a slight nod. Taking a look at her you will know that she has lost a lot of weight, you could see the bones in her neck bulging out.

"How is my daughter? Is she going to be okay?" the Lady asked amidst tears.

Dr. Hisham sighed and squat down in front of the Lady. "We don't know yet, ma'am. She has to undergo an X-ray and that way we will know what is wrong with her."

"How can you say you don't know anything yet, just save my daughter for me please, she is everything I've got, please doctor." the old Lady pleaded bursting into another set of tears.

Mufida went to her and took her hands in hers. "Mama, you've nothing to worry about, your daughter is not going to die, just have fate in Allah ( SWA ) and keep praying In sha Allah nothing is going to happen." she consoled the Lady and then turned to the patient. "Your daughter is a strong girl and I believe no matter what comes her way she will be able to fight."

The Lady was quiet for a while before she spoke up. "I don't know what happened to her all of a sudden, look at how sick she is looking. Just do anything to save my daughter, I beg of you."

"Mama, you need to be strong for your daughter, and by doing that you'll have to stop crying." she used her hands to wipe off the lady's tears and smiled at her.

"She has been crying since morning." the girl managed to voice out. "T..." the girl started but winced clutching her chest tightly with her right hand. She started coughing with blood gushing out of her mouth.

Dr. Hisham rushed to her quickly and said. "Hauwa, are you okay? What happened?."

The Lady burst into tears again, she used the edge of her veil to cry into it.

"Dr. Mufida gets the wheelchair and take her to the X-ray room."mufida nodded and wheeled the wheelchair to him. Hauwa's mother helped her daughter and sat her down in the wheelchair. Dr. Hisham pulled the wheelchair and they followed suit, the Lady still in tears.

"Wait here." the nurse said to them and went in with hauwa to the X-ray room. Hauwa's mother stood in front of the door while Mufida and Dr. Hisham took their seats.

"Along with studying medicine, you studied consoling people right?."Dr. Hisham's question broke the silence and she just stared at him, waiting for him to laugh at his bad joke but he didn't he kept a straight face.

"Anyone with a heart will do the same," she replied bitterly, she didn't expect him to say anything and he kept mute.