25

"Alfie Solomons." Hazel let out a defeated sigh, lighting a cigarette and slumping down in the chair opposite Tommy.

"What? How do you know that name?" He frowned, staring at her intently.

She raised an eyebrow, tapping her nails painted in dark red polish on the arm of the chair, watching the puzzle pieces fit together in Thomas's head.

She tried to hide her smile as he came out of his daze and his eyes widened slightly. "- you were his nurse? He's the one you went to see today."

"Ding ding!" She replied sarcastically, taking another drag of her cigarette.

He shot her a glare, clenching his jaw a few times but not being able to find a response. He wanted to be annoyed at her, but why? She was just doing her job. He'd never been involved with Alfie- not until now. "- do you have anything to do with this? Did you tell him anything about me?" He asked.

"You really think I'd do that?" She raised an eyebrow.

"I don't know what I think. After all Hazel, we don't know each other anymore. Two years is a while." He shrugged.

"So what was last night then?" She asked, trying to control her slight rise in temper.

"Nothing." He shrugged again, keeping his gaze on her cold. Of course he didn't mean anything he was saying. "- We were both drunk. Sentimental."

She stood up from her chair suddenly, her chest rising and falling much faster than a few moments ago. "- What are you trying to say? That you lied? Lied about seeing no other women? Lied about being sorry?"

He cleared his throat slightly, trying to ignore the small weight that sat in the left pocket of his waist coat. "And so what if I did?" He replied harshly, trying not to let his heart drop at the sight of her fighting back tears. He wasn't lying to her before. But he was now. His head was all over the place and he hated it. One second he didn't care about the consequences of having her, and the next he wanted her to see him as the bad guy to push her away.

Hazel took a shaky breath, her heart pounding in her chest. "- To answer your question, I would never talk about you to Alfie. But now I bloody wish I did." She spat, turning on her heel and storming out of his office, the room shaking slightly as she slammed the door behind her.

..

Hazel fumbled with the keys to one of the spare cars owned by the shelbys, wiping away each tear that spilled down her cheek. She hated herself for crying so easily. Hated herself for being so weak around Thomas.

As she reached for the door handle to the car, she couldn't tell which were tears on her face and which were water droplets, as a heavy downpour had begun, making the night streets of Birmingham seem even more sinister.

Then, a familiar voice spoke from behind her, making her freeze where she was and her heart began to pound once more in her chest.

"Miss Knightly. Such a shame you departed from our hospital." He spoke out, his menacing voice sending a bad chill down Hazels spine.

She wouldn't turn to face him.

She pulled the door handle to the the car, but was met with a gun pointed directly at her head by someone who was lurking in the darkness of the car. She let out a small whimper.

"When I'm speaking to you- you FUCKING LOOK AT ME!" He roared into her ear, spit flying out of his mouth as he grabbed her shoulder and spun her round, shoving her back into the car. And there he was. She was met by the chillingly evil face of Darby Sabini.

Her eyes darted around her surroundings, and numerous more dark figures crawled out from the shadows, the men looming over her as her whole body ran cold with fear.