31

Hazel had stopped off at the bakery on the way to the betting shop- Thomas's chosen breakfast of cigarettes didn't quite keep her going until lunch. She smiled as she bought the fresh loaf of bread, not being able to help but imagine what it would be like if they lived together- if he'd ever even eat breakfast. She shook her head and knew she needed to stop thinking so ahead of time.

Sometimes, she couldn't help the thoughts in the back of her head that nagged away- mainly telling her that her and Thomas would never even last that long to reach that point of their relationship.

However, those negative thoughts about him were forgotten when she noticed Thomas, John and Arthur walking down the street meaning they'd finished their meeting early. John and Arthur were running about the streets chasing each other like little boys.

"Run for the hills- it's the digbeth kid!" Arthur shouted as he chased John accross the street and toward Hazel. "-Hazel! Run!" John exclaimed, laughing as him and Arthur burst into the doors of the betting shop. Hazel smiled momentarily at Thomas, blushing slightly as she realised he was already staring at her, and followed Arthur and John through the the door.

"Get out of town or I will shoot your fuckin head off!" John shouted at Arthur.

"Times up!" Arthur roared back, still playing along as he pointed his gun at John and pretended to shoot it.

Thomas and Hazel were currently stood slightly speechless- not at the boys terrible acting, but at Polly, and the boy she was with. Michael. Hazel couldn't stop her smile. The rosy look of happiness on Pollys face was all she needed to see.

John was the next to notice the unfamiliar male in the kitchen. And ignored Arthur who was becoming irritated at his lack of reaction to the fake gunshot. Arthur finally reacted to the silence, slowly turning round and awkwardly putting his hands in his pockets as he saw the sight in front of him. He and John were desperately trying to hold in their laughs.

"All right then Polly. Whose this?" Arthur snickered in poor taste, and Hazel rolled her eyes and sent him a warning glare as she realised Arthur had assumed this was the boy whom Polly had taken home last night.

"Gentlemen- this is your cousin. Pollys son, Michael." Thomas spoke, and Hazel was the next to snicker as Arthur and John immediately straightened up, ignoring Pollys cold glare and shaking Michaels hand.

"Pleased to meet you." Michael spoke politely, shyly looking over to Hazel and smiling at her which she returned.

"I'm Arthur you've already met me. I used to throw you out the window so John could catch ya." Arthur mumbled sheepishly.

"Yeah- and uh- I used to put you in a shoebox and kick you down watery lane." John added.

"I bet you're glad to be back." Thomas joked and Michael laughed slightly.

Hazel wasn't sure whether to stay or leave. She realised this would be his Michaels first time being welcomed to the Shelby family, and decided she shouldn't really intrude. She smiled warmly at him once more before politely excusing herself, making her way through the room and into the small office, avoiding Pollys stare.

..

The day went by fairly quickly, and Thomas's speech of the day being uneventful was a slight lie, as he was soon off again to meet with a man whom was going to join in with his and Alfie's business- or atleast that was what he told Hazel. He still expected her to turn a blind eye, and she was growing annoyed at herself that she was struggling to do so. She couldn't help worrying sometimes.

There was a small knock on the door, and she pushed her current paperwork to one side. She frowned slightly. Couldn't of been Thomas as he never knocked.