38

A/N there will be a few time jumps in this chapter if it gets confusing please let me know and I'll try and edit it. It makes sense to me but I guess that's because I wrote it 😂

••

"Oh and there's a woman. A woman I love."

Arthur had left with John and Johnny dogs to look for anywhere that Thomas might be. Hazel promised she'd stay in Thomas's office, where she hoped he'd show up at seeing as her house was empty.

Her freshly done nails were worn down from the amount she had bitten them and tapped them anxiously against his wooden desk.

Her mascara had dried under her eyes and smudged her makeup, and her hair was knotted from the amount she had ran her hands through it.

8 hours. They had found Thomas's cap at 2pm. It was now 10.

Hazel knew Thomas would never just ditch them all like that- she knew some thing had gone wrong, and she also knew that if it was up to Campbell, he'd have Tommy dead.

Fumbling around in her bag, she grabbed the box and opened it again, delicately stroking the beautifully detailed ring with her thumb. She tried to imagine life without him. She couldn't.

The sound of the door handle turning made her heart drop with nerves and anticipation as she shot up from the chair, and she instantly burst into tears as Thomas walked through the door, his face bloody, his clothes covered in mud.

She saw him rush toward her and the next thing she knew he had grabbed her and pulled her into him, and she stood and cried. Cried in sheer relief. She was back in his arms which held her strongly.

Thomas was glad the sound of her cries covered up his own, but Hazel was no fool, she could feel his body shaking as his emotions finally caught up to him. So she stayed there in the embrace, not pulling away to look at him until she felt him calm down a bit.

"I thought I'd lost you." Were the first words she spoke. Predictable but so painfully true.

"Is this real?" He choked out, his voice hoarse as his teary eyes met hers.

"Wha- yes of course this is real. What happened? Did someone drug you?" Hazel fretted.

"No. Fuck. My fucking head- they had me kneel at a fucking grave dug for me. Gun to my head. There was three of them- one shot two and then told me to fucking leave. Just like that. You were the only thing I could see when I closed my eyes and waited for the bullet. Perhaps I am dead now." He tried his best to explain, and Hazel could feel his grip on her tightening.

"Tommy I promise you this is real." She spoke softly, placing her hands on his face so his eyes stayed on hers. "I'm here, with you. In your office in Small Heath. Michael is asleep down stairs and John and Arthur should be back soon to check up on your whereabouts. Polly is at Adas with Karl." She reassured him, and watched as his expression softened as he pictured each of his family members safe.

He just nodded, still feeling too stunned to form a proper sentence. "It's all a blur. I- I'm trying to fucking remember everything that happened today." He shook his head with frustration as he took a step back from her.

"Tommy it's alright. Campbell is dead. The soldier is dead-"

"Campbell? Who killed him?" Thomas asked.

"Polly." Hazel replied, and the ghost of a smile pulled at Thomas's lips.

"Fucking finally." He breathed out.