11

It was the morning of Johns wedding, and Hazel stood infront of her mirror, smoothing down her dress

It was the morning of Johns wedding, and Hazel stood infront of her mirror, smoothing down her dress. She fiddled with the necklace she had put on, which replaced the cross that had been around her neck for the past year. Religion nor god has ever helped her escape her demons- it wasn't there to guide her through the unholy terrors of the war. Hazel had awoken to an empty bed, she understood Thomas had to of left early for wedding preparations, but all she wanted was to wake up next to him one morning.

"Katies not going to be able to make it to the wedding" Polly pulled Hazel out of her thoughts as she walked into her room. Katie had woke up this morning with a cough and a temperature- nothing some rest and hot soup couldn't fix.

"That's fine Pol, I'll send her to Mrs Woods" Hazel smiled. Polly had become such a mother figure to her and Katie and Hazel was unexplainably grateful for how welcoming the family has been to her, although she knew deep down that part of their welcoming attitude was due to the liking Tommy had taken to her.

"You look beautiful love" Polly walked over, placing her hands on Hazels shoulders, "There's a familiar smell in this room- Whiskey and cigarettes" She smirked, never missing an opportunity to tease Hazel about whatever her and Thomas had going on- Polly hoped Thomas would get the stick out of his arse and ask her to be his girlfriend, she also hoped Hazel would get the stick out of her arse and actually sleep with him. She couldn't help but overhear the teases Arthur and John gave their clearly sexually frustrated brother when Hazel so much as walks past him or smiles.

"You mean Thomas" Hazel laughed, a small blush creeping onto her cheeks as she pulled her long dark curls out of the ponytail they were in and letting them fall gracefully all the way down to the small of her back.

"Whiskey and cigarettes, Thomas Shelby- same bloody thing." Polly chuckled. "We need to fetch Ada before we go to the wedding."

"She agreed to come?" Hazels eyes lit up in excitement, she was fond of Ada, and felt awful for her due to the stress her husband and brother were both putting her through.

"Yes, shes looking forward to seeing you- she was stressed about going to the wedding as she's so far gone, so I let it slip you used to be a nurse, she swears she won't tell" Polly rambled

"Polly, It's honestly fine, I'm ready for people to know, I don't mind if it gets out, and if it means making Ada more comfortable then it's worth it." Hazel smiled reassuringly, spraying her perfume before following Polly out the door.

..

The ceremony was finally in view of the three women as they walked towards it with their arms linked together, Hazel having to endure the teases from Ada as Polly tried to get her to explain about Thomas. "I feel like a bloody mug Ada! How can I explain when I don't even know what we are" Hazel rolled her eyes.

"Well, youre something and that's..." Ada trailed off.

"That's what?" Hazel pressed on.

"Something?", Adas reply caused Hazel to groan in despair.